Duke women's basketball starts its season with an exhibition against Shaw

The Blue Devils will play their first exhibition game of the 2012-2013 season Tuesday at Cameron Indoor Stadium at 7 p.m..

No. 3 Duke will host Shaw, located in Raleigh, N.C., which returns three starters from last year’s NCAA Division II champion team.

Sequoyah Griffin and Crystal Harris both averaged more than nine points last season for the Lady Bears. Harris also averaged more than 6.5 rebounds. Shaw is led by head coach Jacques Curtis, who has posted a 273-132 career record in his 13 seasons of coaching.

The Blue Devils enter Tuesday’s match boasting a No. 3 ranking in the AP preseason poll—the highest ranking Duke has received since the 2005-2006 season.

The Blue Devils return four starters and 10 letterwinners from last year’s talented squad. Sophomore Elizabeth Williams and juniors Tricia Liston, Chelsea Gray and Haley Peters combined to produce just under 89 percent of last year’s scoring for Duke. Gray and Williams were tabbed as All-Americans after standout performances last season, and enter the current campaign on the watch list for the Wade Trophy—the most prestigious individual award in women’s college basketball.

The Blue Devils will complement their strong core of returning players with a strong recruiting class that includes two McDonald’s All-Americans—guards Sierra Moore and Alexis Jones.

Duke head coach Joanne P. McCallie enters her sixth year with the Blue Devils, posting a 141-32 record in her first five years in Durham. McCallie has led Duke to three consecutive ACC regular season titles Elite Eight appearances.

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball starts its season with an exhibition against Shaw” on social media.