Students flock to Au Bon Pain

Chain restaurant Au Bon Pain recently replaced Alpine Atrium Cafe in the Bryan Center. The menu features salads, sandwiches, soups and other snacks.

If on-campus demand remains high, Au Bon Pain may soon be open 24 hours a day for Duke students.

The national bakery and cafe chain, which opened a location in the Bryan Center last Friday, has experienced booming sales during its first week in business. Currently open from 7am to midnight, Au Bon Pain offers sandwiches, soups, salads and pastries that are baked fresh every morning.

“The reception we’ve received so far has been really positive,” said Nick Sandilands, general manager at Au Bon Pain. “Everyone has been commenting on our food and the appearance of the cafe.”

Sandilands said he arrived on campus earlier in July to hire staff and oversee the construction of the cafe, which is built in the spot formally occupied by Alpine Atrium. The restaurant sets itself apart because of its emphasis on customer service, he added.

“When it comes to hiring employees, we look for outgoing personalities, good community citizens and people who are committed and love to work here,” he said. “Hospitality is part of our culture, and we try to emphasize it during our employee training.”

Au Bon Pain also offers a variety of fresh goods for its customers, Sandilands noted.. Ingredients are purchased from Foster Caviness Food Service every day, and all pastries are baked fresh at 3 a.m. in the morning.

“We’re trying to encourage the students on campus with healthy food options,” said Lev Shnaidman, associate manager at Au Bon Pain. “There is an information kiosk that our customers have access to, and there are also vegan options—we try to alter our menu to accommodate everyone.”

Shnaidman noted that even though the food options are standard across all the Au Bon Pain cafes, there are always new recipes being added. For example, Au Bon Pain offers a new type of soup every day, with about fifty types of soups in total.

Stressing hospitality also creates a friendly work environment, said Lara Delahunt, assistant manager at Au Bon Pain. Delahunt, who was recently hired in June, said that it is comforting to get to know the customers at the cafe.

“What puts me at ease is that everyone is genuine and nice,” Delahunt said. “Plus, I’m a huge basketball fan, so I love being in this college atmosphere and working at Duke.”

As for Duke students, some are not only impressed with the food, but also with the appearance of the cafe.

“I not only love the eclectic selection of delicious food, but also the vibrant design of the walls,” said sophomore Nicholle Romero. “It really livens up the mood especially in the mornings.”

Share and discuss “Students flock to Au Bon Pain” on social media.