Duke basketball roundup: Four Nations Cup, USA beats Spain

In case you missed it...

On Monday, Duke basketball announced that Blue Devils Quinn Cook and Marshall Plumlee will play in the 2012 Four Nations Cup for the East Coast All Stars. The four-team tournament will be in Tallinn, Estonia, from July 29-31. The other teams in the tournament are from the Czech Republic, Georgia and Estonia.

NBA players Jan Veseley and Zaza Pachulia are expected to play in the tournament for Georgia and the Czech Republic, respectively, according to the Sporting News.

Cook, a rising sophomore point guard, averaged 4.4 points and 1.9 assists as a freshman, dealing with limited playing time in a crowded Duke backcourt. Plumlee entered last season as a freshman with Cook but redshirted and retains four years of eligibility.

In other news, Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski led the United States Olympic basketball team to its fifth and final victory in tuneups for the 2012 Olympic Games in London. Team USA, coached by Krzyzewski with Duke assistants Chris Collins and Steve Wojciechowski also on his staff, defeated Spain 100-78 yesterday led by 27 points from Carmelo Anthony. Spain is considered to be the main threat to Team USA.

The United States now will resume training until its first game of the Olympics on June 29 against France.

And, on another note, today is former Blue Devil Nolan Smith's 24th birthday. Smith, who was a junior on Duke's 2010 national championship squad, averaged 20.6 points per game in his senior season with the Blue Devils and is now a guard for the Portland Trail Blazers.

Share and discuss “Duke basketball roundup: Four Nations Cup, USA beats Spain” on social media.