2012 NBA Draft Live Updates

Welcome to The Chronicle's live coverage of the 2012 NBA Draft. We're on the scene at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. and we'll be here providing up-to-the-minute coverage on everything going on here, particularly news related to Austin Rivers and Miles Plumlee.

Rivers, who left Duke after his freshman year, is a potential lottery pick while Plumlee is expected to be taken in the second round, though his stock has been rising after stellar performances in his workouts.

10:30 p.m.--The first round has now concluded with the Warriors taking Festus Ezeli from Vanderbilt. Thanks for tuning into the live blog and make sure to return to The Blue Zone for more stories about Duke sports.

10:04 p.m.--Miles Plumlee heard his name called much earlier than expected. The Indiana Pacers passed up the chance at Perry Jones III from Baylor and Arnett Moultrie from Mississippi St., both guys who could have gone in the late lottery, to take the Duke senior with the 26th pick. Plumlee had been compared to Jeff Foster, who coincidentally played all 13 of his NBA seasons with the Pacers. Indiana's starting center, Roy Hibbert, is a restricted free agent, but is expected to return. The Pacers also have former Tar Heel Tyler Hansbrough off the bench. Plumlee could carve out an energy big man role for the Pacers, and if he impresses, could get more of an opportunity after starting power forward David West's contract expires following the 2012-2013 season. Plumlee reportedly was extremely impressive in his workouts prior to the draft, and evidently the Pacers' new regime took notice.--bc

9:25 p.m.--Zeller to the Cavaliers also means that a Tar Heel, Zeller, and a Blue Devil, Kyrie Irving, will be joining forces next year.--ab

9:11 p.m.--Tyler Zeller is finally selected, but is rumored to be on the way to Cleveland. In return, the Cavaliers traded the 24th, 33rd, and 34th picks in the draft. Miles Plumlee could still be an option  for the Mavericks at either one of the newly acquired second round picks.--bc

9:06 p.m.--While Duke fans wait for Miles Plumlee's name to be called, UNC big man Tyler Zeller is sitting here watching team after team pass up on the chance of drafting him. Kendall Marshall, Moe Harkless, and Royce White all weren't invited to the draft, but were selected before Zeller.--bc

8:45 p.m.--The second UNC player is off the board with Kendall Marshall going in the second-to-last pick in the lottery to the Phoenix Suns at No. 13. Marshall is the first pick of the night who is not in attendance at the Prudential Center for the draft. Now this will be a quiet period for Blue Devil fans--Plumlee's name won't start coming up until the 20s at the earliest.--ab

8:28 p.m.--After the Raptors passed on Rivers at No. 8, the New Orleans Hornets jumped at the chance to pair Rivers with first overall pick Anthony Davis as they start their rebuilding efforts. With the team expected to try everything to keep restricted free

Generic Script

agent guard Eric Gordon in town, Rivers' role on the team is a little harder to predict than it would have been with Toronto. Jarrett Jack, last year's starting point guard, is still around, as are former Maryland guard Greivis Vasquez and former lottery pick Xavier Henry. Incumbent starting small forward Al-Farouq Aminu is also still on the roster. It was rumored that the Hornets were the team that gave Rivers' his lottery promise.--bc

8:16 p.m.--Terrance Ross leapfrogs Austin Rivers and Jeremy Lamb to be selected by the Raptors with the 8th pick in the draft. New Orleans at No. 10 still seems like a very strong possibility for Rivers.--bc

8:11 p.m.--And the first ACC players is off the board with Harrison Barnes going to the Warriors at No. 7. Could have an impact on Rivers--if they had gone for center Andre Drummond, Barnes likely would've gone to the Raptors at eight, but now you have to think Rivers is in play with Toronto.--ab

8:06 p.m.--Damian Lillard is the pick for the Trailblazers and will join Nolan Smith as the only point guards on the Portland roster. UNC alumni Raymond Felton now seems out of the picture.--bc

8:00 p.m.--With Thomas Robinson going to the Kings, there is less of a chance Miles Plumlee ends up there with the 36th pick in the draft. Now the Kings have Robinson to start next to Demarcus Cousins, plus Chuck Hayes and Jason Thompson off the bench. Cavs, Pistons, and any other team willing to buy a second round pick could all be in play for Plumlee.--bc

7:56 p.m.-- Kyrie just gave his newest teammate a giant hug.--bc

7:53 p.m.--With the 4th pick the draft, the Cleveland Cavaliers take Dion Waiters from Syracuse to be Kyrie Irving's new backcourt partner. That means the Cavs passed up on UNC's Harrison Barnes. With the top non-Beal shooting guard off the board early, Rivers is now the top shooting guard on most team's boards and we're only at the 5th pick.--bc

7:43 p.m.--With Kentucky's Michael Kidd-Gilchrist going No. 2 overall to the Charlotte Bobcats, it's the first time the two top picks have both come from the same school, according to @sportscenter.--ab

7:37 p.m.--Anthony Davis was selected with the 1st pick of the draft by the Hornets, as expected. Will Rivers be joining him there with New Orleans also owning the 10th pick? A lot of mock drafts think so...--ab

7:32 p.m.--Heavy boos from the crowd as David Stern finally takes the podium. Can barely hear a word he's saying in the Prudential Center. Only audible word was "Heat" and the boos got even louder.--ab

7:29 p.m.--We've seen Rivers' shot over Tyler Zeller at UNC twice already and the Draft hasn't started yet. We should be treated to it a couple more times before the night is over.--Bobby Colton

7:21 p.m.--With rumors swirling about the Celtics, who are coached by Rivers' father Doc Rivers, potentially trying to trade up and draft their coach's son, there is currently a family gathering going on at Rivers' table in front of the stage.--ab

7:10 p.m.--At the right is a picture of Rivers in his draft-day outfit at his table in front of the stage. The players have assumed their seats.--ab

Generic Script

7:00 p.m.--And it's time for the pre-draft festivities to officially get underway. Lights are flashing here in the Prudential Center, fans are beginning to fill the seats, and there's a definite buzz in the air. Lots of rumors about trades, people speculating there may be more draft-day deals than ever before. Stay tuned--any early trades could have a big impact on where Rivers lands.--ab

6:45 p.m.--All the players in attendance at the draft, including Rivers, just took the stage for a photo opportunity with NBA commissioner David Stern. Rivers, who made a bet on Twitter with Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, is wearing a snazzy red tie.--ab

6:11 p.m.--Still no fans have been let into the Prudential Center but the media area is packed and David Stern did his sound check about 10 minutes ago. Jeff Van Gundy, Chris Broussard, Ric Bucher and the ESPN crew have assumed their seats to begin draft coverage.--Andrew Beaton

ALSO READ: The Chronicle's Q&A with Rivers a couple weeks ago and excerpts from his media availability yesterday.

Follow @dukebasketball, @andrewlbeaton and @Bobby_Colton on Twitter.

Share and discuss “2012 NBA Draft Live Updates” on social media.