Your pocket guide to Virginia-Duke

In an ACC showdown between two ranked teams, the No. 16 Virginia Cavaliers travel to Cameron Indoor Stadium to take on No. 8 Duke. The Blue Devils (13-2) lost two games ago to Temple and struggled to grind out a victory at Georgia Tech in their conference opener. The Cavaliers (14-1) have just one loss to their name this year, but have played a relatively easy schedule.

Projected Starters

Virginia: G Jontel Evans, G Joe Harris, G Sammy Zeglinski, F Mike Scott, C Assane Sene

Duke: G Quinn Cook, G Seth Curry, G Austin Rivers, F Miles Plumlee, F Mason Plumlee

1. Virginia's lockdown perimeter defense vs. Duke's perimeter offense

The Cavaliers have the second-best defense in the country, holding opponents to just 50.5 points per game. They do it by dominating their opponents on the outside, with foes hitting just 4.3 3-pointers per game against them on 27% shooting. Temple upset Duke by shutting down its perimeter offense and playing the game at their pace, something that could be the key to a potential upset tonight.

2. Who will control the tempo of tonight's game?

Under Tony Bennett, Virginia plays a notoriously slow style of play, helping them keep that opposing scoring total so low. But, Duke is known for pushing the ball and playing in transition, averaging 82.1 points per game—eighth best in the nation. Watch out for how the Cavaliers handle Quinn Cook. He will get the first look for the Blue Devils at running the point, and head coach Mike Krzyzewski will need someone who can keep the game at a quick pace.

3. Can the Plumlees stop Mike Scott?

With their slow pace, the Cavaliers don't need much offense to win. The little scoring they have needed this season has come from forward Mike Scott, the active ACC leader in points, rebounds and double-doubles. Although he missed most of last season with an injury, he has come back as strong as ever this year, averaging 16.5 points per game and 8.9 rebounds per game. Scott is listed generously at 6-foot-8, however, so Mason and Miles Plumlee, who both border on being 7-feet tall, will need to assert themselves physically against Scott to make sure he does not have his way in the post.

Share and discuss “Your pocket guide to Virginia-Duke” on social media.