Blue Devil duo prepares for MLS SuperDraft

Two Blue Devils will hope to hear their names called as the 19 Major League Soccer teams gather today in Kansas City, Mo. to conduct the 13th annual SuperDraft, which begins at 12 p.m.

Duke junior Andrew Wenger, who last week won the Hermann Trophy, given annually to college’s most outstanding soccer player, is expected to be among the top picks in the draft. He forfeited his final year of collegiate eligibility to enter the draft after signing with Generation adidas—a program that encourages early entry into MLS—in December.

Some experts peg Wenger as the top pick in the draft, though he has stiff competition to be the No. 1 choice from University of Akron forward Darren Mattocks. A pair of UCLA players­—midfielder Kelyn Rowe and forward Chandler Hoffmann—will likely accompany Wenger among the top handful of picks.

The Montreal Impact, an expansion franchise, holds the first pick in the draft while Vancouver Whitecaps FC owns the second pick, so it is likely that Wenger will be headed north of the Canadian border to begin his professional career. Christopher Tweed-Kent may also be selected, but later in the draft, which consists of 38 picks.

Wenger led the ACC with 42 points and 17 goals this season, which ranked fourth and sixth in the nation, respectively. He was also named the ACC offensive player of the year, after being the conference defensive player of the year in 2010 and rookie of the year in 2009.

Tweed-Kent was second on the team in points this season with 24, leading the team as a distributor with 12 assists.

Share and discuss “Blue Devil duo prepares for MLS SuperDraft” on social media.