Wake Forest Season Preview: High turnover at Wake

Wing player Travis McKie will lead a roster that has turned over significantly since last season.

After an absymal 8-24 showing and just one conference win last year, the Wake Forest roster has undergone significant turnover, but not due for the usual reasons like graduation and early entry to the NBA. Instead, second-year head coach Jeff Bzdelik enters the year with a roster ravaged by transfers and suspensions. In April, the Demon Deacons lost forward Ari Stewart after transferred to the University of Southern California. Several months later, guard J.T. Terrell withdrew from the university and the basketball team after being arrested and charged with DWI. The departed pair accounted for 19.6 points per game last year.

Additionally, 7-foot center Ty Walker, who was second in the ACC with 2.5 blocks per game and broke Demon Deacon legend Tim Duncan’s single-game record by blocking 11 shots in one game, violated the student code of conduct and will sit for the fall semester.

Those shoes will largely be filled by forward Travis McKie and guard C.J. Harris. McKie, who was selected to the All-ACC freshman team, led Wake Forest in both points and rebounds. The young sophomore—he is just 19 years old despite having a year of college experience under his belt—is tough, versatile and showed a developing offensive game. The 6-foot-7 swingman will be asked to contribute both on the perimeter and in the post. Harris averaged 10.3 points per game and also led the team with 3.5 assists per game. To replace Walker, Wake Forest will look to lanky center Carson Desrosiers, a true 7-footer who ranked sixth in the ACC with 1.7 blocks per game.

With so many holes to fill, it would be surprising to see the Demon Deacons improve significantly on a rough 2010-11 campaign.

Share and discuss “Wake Forest Season Preview: High turnover at Wake” on social media.