NBA lockout woes

Don’t bother holding your breath—the current National Basketball Association lockout is probably not going to end anytime soon.

According to a recent article in the New York Times, deliberations on a new labor deal between NBA owners and players failed again Saturday night. This deadlock, which has already been going on for four months, has now been reduced to a four-day window. NBA commissioner David Stern gave the player's union the offer of 50-50 percent split on basketball-related income and a restrictive measure on team spending and free agency. The players have been asked to respond to this offer by this Wednesday or be forced to settle for a far worse deal.

If the players union will not compromise by the said date, the owners will consequently withdraw the original offer and cut the offer down to a 47 percent share, along with a “flex-cap” system which, in actuality, imposes a hard cap on players’ payrolls.

Despite this ultimatum, union leaders appear unlikely to yield. This past Saturday’s negotiation session, the 21st of the lockout, lasted for over eight hours, but only a marginal amount of progress was accomplished.

The players’ union, which initially promised to accept no offer less than 52.5 percent of NBA revenues, reduced their proposal down to 51 percent—1 percent of which to aid retired players. The players’ proposed decrease comes within 1 percent of the NBA’s current proposal.

On the other side of the table, owners proposed a “band” that would pay the players an amount from 49 to 51 percent, depending on the league’s revenue growth. Although this proposal appeared appropriate, the union counter argued that the deal would only add up to a 50 percent offer. The range for growth is so large that the share would never get to 51 percent, according to player union’s chief negotiator Jeff Kessler.

This past Saturday’s meeting included the full negotiating committees on both parties, in addition to many big-name NBA stars. On the owners’ delegation, Michael Jordan, Paul Allen and Micky Arison pushed to make a deal. Chauncey Billups, the point guard for the Knicks, joined the players' side.

As of now, no further negotiations have yet to be scheduled.

News of this current development in the lockout stirred a wide array of reactions from the Duke community. Some students are frustrated with the recent developments in the lockout.

“These negotiations are getting pretty ridiculous,” said freshman Jay Canarick. “Everyone should stop complaining about money and just play basketball.”

Others students, on the other hand, have found an alternative to the situation.

“Living at Duke now, I feel more connected to the Duke basketball team than the Celtics, even though I’m from Boston,” said freshman Alex Kunycky. “Even though the NBA is not in session right now, I can still enjoy Duke basketball!”

While the NBA is in shambles, Duke University basketball is looking forward to a great season. The men’s team will be facing off against Belmont, and the women’s team is scheduled to play against BYU this Friday.

Share and discuss “NBA lockout woes” on social media.