Whole Foods accused of "brandwashing"

Although technically off-campus, the Whole Foods Market near East Campus enjoys a steady flow of Duke-affiliated customers. Known for its commitment to high-quality, organic foods, the company is a favorite of foodies and health-nuts alike. Author Martin Lindstrom, however, has recently criticized the supermarket for subtly coercing customers.

In a recent article, Lindstrom accused Whole Foods of subconsciously priming customers in a process he terms “brandwashing.” Whole Foods strategically places flowers by the door and ice displays around the store to conjure a sense of freshness. Another tactic involves using chalk on signs to recreate the atmosphere of a traditional marketplace. The store also displays produce in cardboard boxes for its homely, symbolic value.

The implication here, is that these tactics are disingenuous and subconsciously misleading. According to Lindstrom, the store puts out more ice than they need to (apparently hummus doesn’t need to be freezing cold) and unnecessarily sprinkles vegetables with water so they appear fresh. He also says that the cardboard boxes are also a farce, since they are actually a single, large box cut to look like stacks of boxes.

At the Durham Whole Foods, the main door is adorned on both sides with floor-to-ceiling flowers. True to Lindstrom’s description, the hummus was displayed on a cart overflowing with ice, and similar ice displays could be found around the store for other dips. Produce prices were also handwritten, and many of the decorative signs looked like they had been written in chalk.

There were, however, no misleading cardboard boxes to be found—all of the cardboard boxes were, in fact, separable. The water droplets on the vegetables may also be functional rather than deceptively decorative.

Wallace Nunnelly, a Whole Foods employee, said that many vegetables are kept in water before they are displayed to ensure freshness.

These displays allow the store to “give off more of a farmer’s market feel,” Nunnelly said.

Duke students loyal to the store seem to be unfazed by the so-called brandwashing, and many see their displays as perfectly legitimate marketing techniques.

Ryan Garrett, a graduate student in Global Health, described the marketing as “a little gimmicky,” but said that the store “does a good job with presentation.” Although he praised the store’s food quality, he felt that prices were too high.

Freshman Rebecca Holmes noticed that the store’s decorations made its products seem healthier but was also more concerned about the prices.

“When I see something labeled as healthy or organic, I think more expensive,” Holmes said.

Share and discuss “Whole Foods accused of "brandwashing"” on social media.