The Loop: 6 things you think are healthy but actually aren't

I could have had a hot dog, cajun chicken entrée, slice of california pizza and kid's fries from The Loop, all for the same number of calories as my weekly crispy chicken salad with balsamic vinaigrette--a whopping 950 calories.

Instead of that 1,300-calorie Oreo milkshake, you could have had a brownie, chocolate chunk cookie, chocolate macadamia nut cookie and an oatmeal raison cookie.

"We have close to 1,200 students a day when I cash out the register here--this is the place to be if you're looking for something healthy or looking for something not healthy," said Elba Hernandez, Assistant Manager at The Loop. "They know that we're fresh and it's delicious."

When skinnier students walk into The Loop, Hernandez said she expects them to order salads or anything on the side--fruit, chicken breast and salads. People on the heavier side tend to order bacon cheddar burgers with onion rings or chicken tenders with steak fries, she said.

To someone looking for healthy food, Hernandez would direct them to the veggie melt, the black bean burger or, especially, any of the salads.

Are you sure about that? Here are some items at The Loop you may have thought were healthy but really aren’t:

1. Walnut, Cranberry and Goat Cheese Salad (without dressing): 532 calories, 28g fat, 44g carbs
  2. Balsamic Vinaigrette: 340 calories, 27g fat
  3. Chili (bowl): 528 calories, 34g fat, 27g carbs
  4. BBQ Grilled Chicken Sandwich: 683 calories, 22g fat, 63g carbs
  5. Chicken Caesar Wrap: 632 calories, 32g fat, 56g carbs
  6. Veggie Melt Focaccia: 633 calories, 30g fat, 67g carbs

These are actually healthy:

1. House Salad with Chicken (without dressing): 198 calories, 25g protein
  2. Lite Italian Dressing: 80 calories, 4g fat
  3. Shrimp and Black Bean Soup (bowl): 175 calories, 14g protein
  4. Cajun Chicken Entrée: 170 calories, 33g protein
  5. Cajun Fish Wrap: 383 calories, 33g protein
  6. Portobello Mushroom Sandwich: 337 calories, 11g of protein

Freshman Marie Moyle was shocked to learn that her favorite salad, the walnut, cranberry and goat cheese has 532 calories, and probably over 200 for the dressing unless it was "lite" or "fat-free."

"Holy s**t, that's a lot for a puny salad," she said.

Moyle also said that she will not order the salad anymore, now that she knows how many calories it has, adding that it would be helpful for The Loop to list how many calories are in other items on their menu.

After seeing these nutrition facts, I can tell you that yours truly will no longer be ordering that Crispy Chicken Salad or Chicken Fingers from The Loop.

Share and discuss “The Loop: 6 things you think are healthy but actually aren't” on social media.