UNC riding hot streak

As the year draws to an end, Duke has only one more match in the regular season. It’s only fitting that the contest is at home against the team’s rival, North Carolina.

Tonight’s matchup at Koskinen Stadium marks the 25th time the two teams have played each other, with each holding 12 wins over the other. Despite their overall tie, the No. 6 Tar Heels have come away with four of the two’s last five meetings, including a 14-4 victory last year.

“It’s really a great game every year, and I think for both of our teams, it’s a very special game,” head coach Kerstin Kimel said. “I think it’s an enormous privilege to be part of such an incredible rivalry, and when we get to battle each other, no matter the sport, it’s always really special.”

The No. 4 Blue Devils (11-2, 3-1 in the ACC) are coming off two victories after topping No. 16 Boston College 14-11 and Brown 13-12 in double overtime last weekend. North Carolina (10-3, 3-1) boasts victories over seven of its eight latest opponents.

“I think that UNC is always a really fast, athletic team, and I think they’re really very seasoned on defense, so we expect there to be really great effort from their defense to help try to contain our offense,” Kimel said. “It’s typically a very close game, so both of us are expecting a big battle [tonight].”

In defensive play, both teams hold separate advantages. Duke’s defense is ranked first in the ACC and 11th nationally to North Carolina’s 61st. However, the Tar Heels have the advantage in scoring defense, coming in ninth nationally to the Blue Devils’ 39th.

On the offensive end, though, Duke has a much more clear-cut advantage. The Blue Devils have a more seasoned offense, led by senior Christie Kaestner, who has scored 26 goals and 33 assists this year. They pose a very real scoring threat as well, with the offense boasting five players with 20 or more points on the season.

The matchup between the two teams is one that is much anticipated, especially since the winner of the contest will top the other in the conference’s rankings—both are now tied for second—and could have a first-round bye in the upcoming ACC Tournament.

“People go into the game expecting a great win,” Kimel said.

Share and discuss “UNC riding hot streak” on social media.