Murphy to enroll early

Looks like Andre Dawkins isn’t the only one who can graduate from high school early.

Yesterday, Alex Murphy decided to reclassify into the Class of 2011, having already met all his graduation requirements at St. Mark’s School in Southborough, Mass.

“It was a very difficult decision but in the end, I just thought this was the best thing for my future,” Murphy told ESPN.com. “It’s a great opportunity.”

Murphy is a versatile small forward who has drawn comparisons to Kyle Singler and Mike Dunleavy, Jr., due to his ability to both score from beyond the arc and post up down low. He is ranked No. 40 in the overall rankings for the Class of 2011, and No. 11 among all small forwards by ESPN.com.

Murphy will join four others in the Class of 2011, including Austin Rivers, the guard from Winter Park, Fla. who has been named by many as the No. 1 high school player in the nation. Quinn Cook, a point guard from Oak Hill; Michael Gbinije, a small forward from Chester, Va. and Marshall Plumlee, a center and brother to Mason and Miles, round out the recruiting class.

There also seems to be a good chance that a sixth player could be added to the class soon. DeAndre Daniels, ESPN’s top remaining player in the Class of 2011 and a skilled post guard, took his official visit to Duke last weekend and attended the season-ending banquet. He is expected to make a decision soon, and AAU coach Dinos Trigonis told The Chronicle two weeks ago that he thinks Daniels will decide by the end of the month where he is going next year.

Share and discuss “Murphy to enroll early” on social media.