Budget concerns may force state to cut ALE

The streets may soon be clear of ALE.

North Carolina is considering eliminating the state Division of Alcohol Law Enforcement in order to cut costs. The N.C. House of Representatives appropriations subcommittee considered a proposal to cut ALE—along with 70 other potential cuts to the state’s public safety and justice programs—last Tuesday. The proposal was created by Republican legislative staffers and aims to trim costs, including closing some prisons and drug treatment centers. The proposal went before the budget subcommittee of the Senate’s appropriations on justice and public safety committee, though it is not yet determined when the committee will vote.

Cutting ALE would save the state approximately $9.5 million and cut 137 jobs, though its elimination could mean more work for the state, as police officers and other resources would have to compensate for the loss of ALE’s specialization, said Thomas Caves, special assistant to the secretary of the North Carolina Department of Crime Control and Public Safety and is a legislative liaison for the department.

“In bad economic times, [legislative staff members] look at many options and show legislators ways to save money,” Caves said. “The ALE elimination would be a hugely problematic option.”

According to its website, ALE is primarily responsible for enforcing laws regarding the sale, transport and consumption of alcohol, though it also enforces tobacco, controlled substances and gambling laws throughout the state.

Much of ALE’s efforts deal with underage drinking and undercover work, as the division works with various federal agencies on a variety of security issues, including terrorism, noted Patty McQuillan, a public information officer for the Department of Crime Control and Public Safety.

“ALE is unique in having full arrest authority for the entire state,” McQuillan said. “The cut of ALE would leave a hole in law enforcement—its agents have special training that would make it costly to train local police officers and sheriff deputies.”

Caves said ALE will likely experience some cuts, though he noted that if the entire division is eliminated, its duties and responsibilities may fall on the shoulders of local and county law enforcement.

Although ALE’s elimination would likely affect the Durham community, it would have a negligible effect at Duke, as enforcing the University’s alcohol policy on campus would remain in the jurisdiction of the Duke University Police Department, said DUPD Chief John Dailey.

“ALE doesn’t spend a lot of time on campus,” Dailey said. “[The agency] predominantly enforces alcohol use off campus.”

Dean of Students Sue Wasiolek also said that if ALE is eliminated it would have more of an impact off campus, but she added that students must recognize that every time they break the law, on or off of campus, they are taking a risk.

Currently, the Office of Student Conduct receives communication from ALE when a student is cited by an ALE officer—usually off campus, said Stephen Bryan, associate dean of students and director of the Office of Student Conduct. He added that there is currently only one ALE agent for Durham County.

“Duke has joined forces with ALE agents in giving educations programs for fraternities, sororities and other organizations on state and University policy on alcohol consumption,” Bryan said, adding that it is unknown whether students will change their behavior and whether this will increase the prevalence of underage drinking if students believe they would have a “smaller chance” of exposure.

Share and discuss “Budget concerns may force state to cut ALE” on social media.