Break-ins plague Belmont

A series of break-ins at the Belmont Apartments remains under investigation, law enforcement officials said Tuesday.

There have been four confirmed cases of breaking and entering—three of which also involved theft—and one attempted break-in since April 11, said Ron Christie, a detective with the Durham County Sheriff’s Office who has been stationed as a courtesy officer at the apartment complex since August.

Charges have not been filed in the burglaries, and the search for potential suspects is ongoing, Kammie Michael, Durham Police Department public information officer wrote in an email Tuesday. DPD is primarily handling the investigations.

Three of the homes broken into were those of Duke students.

Authorities believe the incidents are linked except for the fourth break-in, which Angela Toon, property manager for the Belmont, wrote in an email was an unrelated and isolated incident.

“For the most part if they pawn [the stolen items] we might get them,” Christie said of the incidents. “A lot of it is more or less trying to catch them in the act with more patrolling.”

The most recent incident, the attempted break-in, produced a description of one suspect. Christie pursued one of the two men he witnessed attempting a break-in Monday at approximately 10 p.m. in the 11,000 block of the apartments before both men escaped, he wrote in an email to Belmont residents Tuesday. He described one suspect as a black male, early to mid-20s, about 5’10’’ to 6’ with close-cut hair and a medium build.

The first in the series of break-ins took place in the 13,000 block between 11:30 p.m. and 1 a.m. April 11, according to a DPD incident report.

Senior Amalia Sirica said she and her roommate were away from their apartment when an intruder broke down a deadbolted door and stole a TV.

Sirica called the experience terrifying and said that although she had seen suspicious individuals lurking around the complex throughout the school year, she had not witnessed a break-in or attempted break-in previously.

The second break-in and theft of a Duke student’s apartment happened between 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. April 16, said senior Rosie Gellman, one of the apartment’s residents. She and her roommate were out of the apartment when two TVs and cash were stolen.

The final break-in of a Duke student occurred Monday morning when senior Rachel Hanessian said she was watching a movie in her bedroom when an intruder appeared at her bedroom door. Hanessian said she had heard someone knocking at the door but decided to wait for a call or text before answering. The intruder kicked open the door—presumably after assuming no one was home, she said. When the intruder saw Hanessian, he fled without stealing anything.

“They bolted out the door.... I literally did not see the person,” Hanessian said, adding that she was unable to provide a description for the police.

Inadequate response?

Several students have said Belmont management has not responded as well to the incidents as they would have liked.

“The general sentiment among students is that they are not safe, and the Belmont is not doing a good job,” said senior Blake Horowitz, a Belmont resident.

Sirica said she believes the management is “brushing it under the rug” because they think that with the end of the students’ college careers approaching, most seniors will ignore problems with security or communication. For example, Sirica noted that the entry gates to the apartment complex are often left open for long periods of time.

“We’ve been very lucky that no one’s been hurt, but to be honest, this is laziness on the part of management,” she said. “I feel like they don’t have our best interests at heart.”

Toon said Tuesday that the North Carolina Detective Agency, a private security company, has been hired to conduct random identification checks at the Belmont entrance and run nightly patrols from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. The entry gate—which has been broken since April 7 after being hit by a vehicle—will be repaired within the next week.

Toon noted that Belmont management has also collaborated with Duke University Police Department’s crime prevention unit to host a community awareness program for residents April 26.

“Together we will discuss safety tips and make residents aware of various resources such as police services and counseling,” she said.

Christine Pesetski, assistant dean for off-campus and mediation services, said the administration is trying to reach out to Duke students living in the Belmont. She added that difficulties often arise as some students may not disclose their Duke affiliation to DPD, which relays information to DUPD and the administration when an incident involving a student occurs.

Pesetski noted that the University will accommodate students at the Belmont who wish to move onto campus for the remainder of the year. Residence Life and Housing Services has confirmed that there is some housing available on Central Campus, she added.

Senior Anita Raheja, a Belmont resident who was not victim of a break-in, wrote in an email Tuesday that she was dissatisfied with the administration’s response to the situation.

“I have been in touch with someone from [RLHS], and they were only made aware of the situation yesterday,” Raheja said. “We have not heard anything officially from Duke. That is very disappointing to me.... I would believe Duke would want to make sure its students are safe, wherever they may live.”

Share and discuss “Break-ins plague Belmont” on social media.