Your Pocket Guide to Duke vs. Arizona

ANAHEIM, Calif. — Coming off a narrow 73-71 victory over Michigan last Sunday, top-seeded Duke (32-4) will take on ninth-seeded Arizona (29-7) tonight at 9:45 p.m. ET at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., with a trip to the Elite 8 on the line. Here are a few key questions to ponder before tonight's matchup:

1. Derrick Williams is a one-man wrecking crew…. How will Duke contain him? And what about the other weapons in the Wildcats’ arsenal?

Williams is the heart and soul of this Arizona team—and he also happens to be its best player. Williams averages 19.1 points and 8.2 rebounds per game, while shooting 58% from 3-point range. The sophomore has a knack for making big plays when the Wildcats need them the most, and his showing in the NCAA Tournament has been no exception. His 3-point play with just under 10 seconds remaining gave Arizona a 70-69 win over Texas last weekend, and he also blocked a potential game-tying shot in the final seconds of the Wildcats' second-round victory against Memphis. The Plumlee brothers and Kyle Singler will most likely be responsible for locking down Williams. Even if they limit Williams's production, however, Arizona boasts several other talented players in its deep rotation, as Texas learned the hard way.

Williams will not hesitate to draw defenders and find his teammates for open looks. “I have struggled this season when I have tried to take over the game, and my teammates were there to pick me up, especially in the Texas game,” he said Wednesday. Freshman guard Jordin Mayes scored a season-high 16 points against the Longhorns in only 19 minutes of play, while sophomore Solomon Hill added another 16. Swingman Kevin Parrom and guards Lamont Jones and Kyle Fogg are all capable of putting up 20+ points on any given night as well.

2. Several Wildcats weren’t on the team the last time Arizona reached the Sweet 16 in 2009.... Will inexperience derail them tonight?

The Blue Devils feature a crop of seasoned veterans who know what it takes to win a National Championship. On the other hand, Jamelle Horne is Arizona's only senior. The Wildcats have six sophomores and three freshmen on their roster, and Duke will no doubt look to force them into careless mistakes. But Arizona had a respectable 11 turnovers against Texas, one of the best defensive teams in the country, so the Wildcats won't be easily shaken. We'll see how point guard Lamont "MoMo" Jones handles Nolan Smith's on-ball pressure (both are products of Oak Hill Academy).

3. How much will Kyrie Irving play and will he continue to improve since returning from injury?

Irving was only 1-for-4 from the field against Michigan, but his basket was arguably Duke's biggest of the game, as the short bank-shot put the Blue Devils ahead 72-69 with 33 seconds to play. Head coach Mike Krzyzewski said Irving will receive significant minutes tonight against the Wildcats, although the freshman will not start. Irving at the top of his game is one of the best players in the country, but has he recovered enough to return to the elite level he displayed early in the season? Perhaps not. But even if he displays only flashes of brilliance, that may be enough to hold off Arizona.

4. Who will step up tonight for the Blue Devils and help Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler carry the scoring load?

Ryan Kelly picked up the slack against the Wolverines last weekend, scoring 11 points on 5-for-6 shooting. Seth Curry was held scoreless against Michigan, after he had put up nine or more points in his past six games. The Wolverines' 1-3-1 defense also stymied Mason and Miles Plumlee, putting a damper on the sparks the brothers showed in the ACC Tournament. The Blue Devils would do well to look for the Plumlees down low early tonight, as both have a height advantage over the 6-foot-8 Williams. Arizona will attempt to neutralize the brothers' size with 6-foot-11 Kyryl Natyazhko, but the Ukrainian big man will be hard-pressed to contain the more athletic Plumlees.

Share and discuss “Your Pocket Guide to Duke vs. Arizona” on social media.