Blue Devils top Bears

Bill Connors scored his first career goal in Duke’s win yesterday.

There’s been no place like Koskinen Stadium for the Blue Devils since last season, and Tuesday was no exception, as they defeated Brown 12-7 to extend their home winning streak to 14 games. Those 14 wins comprise the longest active streak in men’s lacrosse.

Balanced offense was the name of the game for No. 3 Duke (8-2) against the Bears (3-4), as eight players scored goals and five recorded multi-point games. The team’s top three scorers—senior Zach Howell and freshmen Jordan Wolf and Christian Walsh—each scored twice in the contest, and junior Robert Rotanz also tallied two goals.

Brown’s Teddy Daiber netted a goal early in the first quarter to put the Bears up 1-0, and they held that lead for four minutes before a three-goal Duke run put the Blue Devils ahead just after the start of the second period.

Brown would tie the game at 3-3 behind two goals from leading scorer David Hawley, but Duke reprised its earlier 3-0 run to go ahead 6-3 and remain in the lead for the rest of the contest.

The Blue Devils outshot the Bears by nearly 20, and dominated the faceoff battle by taking 14 out of 21. Senior Tom Montelli led the defense with four turnovers caused, and sophomore goalie Dan Wigrizer stopped eight shots as Duke allowed its second-lowest scoring total this season.

Duke won’t get a chance to extend its home winning streak until Apr. 11 against Presbyterian, but they’ll have a far bigger test on the road Sunday against No. 1 Syracuse.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils top Bears” on social media.