Non-conference matchup to prep Duke for tourney

Duke brings a history of recent success against Temple into tonight’s contest, winning eight consecutive games.

Today’s matchup in Cameron Indoor Stadium will mark the first game since the Blue Devils returned to the top of the AP poll Monday. No. 1 Duke (25-2) will take on No. 24 Temple (21-5) in what promises to be a fierce and competitive game to mark the Blue Devils’ final nonconference contest of the season.

Duke has a history of scheduling nonconference opponents late in the year. These matchups generally put the Blue Devils up against potential NCAA Tournament opponents.

“These type of games are great preparation because they allow us to escape the familiarity of the ACC,” associate head coach Chris Collins said. “When we see a team like Temple, we learn to adjust to the quick preparation that we will surely see in the tournament.”

History is on the Blue Devils’ side as Duke holds a 17-9 record against the Owls, including a 7-1 mark at Cameron. Duke has won eight consecutive games in the series.

For the Blue Devils to continue their winning ways against Temple, they’ll continue to look to Nolan Smith, who is now averaging 21.7 points per game. The senior guard scored 28 points in Monday’s matchup against Georgia Tech, and he continues to establish himself as a legitimate contender for national player of the year.

Possibly his and Duke’s biggest challenge will be containing junior guard Ramone Moore. Moore leads the Owls in scoring with 15.4 points and 3.2 assists per game. He is an athletic and versatile guard who will look to pressure the Blue Devils on the perimeter.

“He shoots the ball well and is good off the dribble,” Collins said. “We are going to put different guys on him. Our goal is not to shut him out, but force him to take a lot of shots. He is going to have to work hard for his points.”

Senior forward Lavoy Allen will also be difficult for Duke to stop. Temple’s career rebounding leader, Allen brought down 12 boards in a victory over Saint Joseph’s Sunday. The Blue Devils will look to find a way to weaken Allen’s defensive presence.

Duke is familiar with Allen: This summer he teamed up with Duke seniors Smith and Kyle Singler on the Team USA Select Squad.

Stopping Allen will be up to Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly, who will look to continue the team’s success on defense. Plumlee has been huge on both ends of the court, shooting 71 percent from the field in the last six games and carrying a season average of 8.7 rebounds per game. If he can continue his hot streak the Blue Devils will be strong in the paint.

Duke will also look to guards Seth Curry and Tyler Thornton to make an impact on the game. Curry has been shooting a solid 42 percent from beyond the arc. The sophomore guard has also held up his duties on defense, snatching a team-high 42 steals this year.

Freshman guard Thornton also seems to have found his place within the Blue Devils’ roster. His defensive pressure has earned him minutes this season, and he could be instrumental in stopping Moore in tonight’s matchup.

“We always use [games like this] to simulate the [NCAA] Tournament, playing a team that’s going to be a high seed in the Tournament,” Smith said Sunday. “They’re a top 25 team, and it’s going to help us stay focused. We can’t lose focus going out of conference.... It’s going to be a big-time game.”

Share and discuss “Non-conference matchup to prep Duke for tourney” on social media.