K: ‘We still feel [Irving] is not going to play’

Kyrie Irving had his hard cast removed on Friday, but head coach Mike Krzyzewski said he “still feel[s] he’s not going to play” this season.

Duke fans were heartened by the news that Kyrie Irving had his cast removed on Friday, Feb. 4. On Saturday after Duke’s win, though, head coach Mike Krzyzewski delivered a dose of reality.

“We still feel he’s not going to play and we have to go forward with that,” Krzyzewski said. “He’s a long way from playing. Just because you’re out of a cast, you have to be 100 percent before you come back, and he’s a ways from that.”

Irving, who averaged 17.4 points and 5.1 assists in his first eight games, was injured Dec. 4 against Butler, and the bone and ligament damage done to his right toe has been the source of endless speculation ever since. Krzyzewski has long expressed doubt that the phenomenal freshman would return this year, but Saturday’s comments may have represented his strongest statement on the matter.

“The main thing that we’re optimistic about is that there’s more healing,” Krzyzewski said. “It’s being done the right way and he’s got to be honest with us about how he’s doing.”

Krzyzewski added that Irving will have a CAT scan and an MRI over the next “couple of weeks,” and this next step of physical therapy would be time-consuming.

Irving has stayed postive about the injury on Twitter, writing on Friday:

“Cast retired...now walking boot and rehab!!! Feels good to see my leg again lol.”

Irving even squared up to attempt a 3-pointer before the game began Saturday, but it was just a tease for the fans in attendance: He didn’t shoot the ball.

Share and discuss “K: ‘We still feel [Irving] is not going to play’” on social media.