Duke looks to take down Wolfpack again

Last time out, Ryan Harrow scored 15 points and dished out five assists in N.C. State’s 92-78 loss to Duke. The freshman will look for revenge against Duke Saturday.

In a week in which both of No. 5 Duke’s fiercest in-state rivals will visit Cameron Indoor Stadium, many fans are already looking ahead to the looming matchup between the Blue Devils and the Tar Heels on Wednesday. However, N.C. State cannot be forgotten, and Duke first needs to take care of business against the Wolfpack Saturday at 6 p.m. at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Coming off their win at Maryland, which head coach Mike Krzyzewski said was the team’s best game since freshman point guard Kyrie Irving injured his toe, the Blue Devils (20-2, 7-1 in the ACC) will look for another strong performance to cement their place atop the conference standings.

This will be the second time Duke has faced the Wolfpack (12-10, 2-6) this season with the Blue Devils comfortably winning the previous meeting Jan. 19 by a score of 92-78. In that game senior captains Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler led the way, with Smith putting up 22 points and Singler contributing 18.

The same can be expected from these two players this weekend. The two combine for an average of over 39 points per game, contributing the bulk of the offense. However, as with Duke’s recent wins, it is only when other players step up that the Blue Devils’ dominance really shows. In their two losses this season, the only players who scored in double digits have been Singler and Smith.

In contrast, N.C. State’s top two scorers Tracy Smith and Ryan Harrow average about 26 points per game combined, slightly less than the dynamic Duke duo.

Freshman Tyler Thornton was given his first start against the Terrapins, relieving Smith of his ball-handling duties. It will be interesting to see whether Thornton will hold his starting spot tomorrow night and allow Smith to “position himself in other positions,” in the words of Krzyzewski. The swap was a big change for the team, but it was a move that allowed Smith to switch back to his natural role as a shooting guard, an improvement that was reflected not only by his shooting, but that of the whole team as well.

“Right now, we just have to keep developing as a team,” Krzyzewski said. “We have no visions of grandeur. Right now we have to keep getting better and prepare for N.C. State.”

In addition to stronger guard play and a much improved 3-point shooting percentage from the loss at St. John’s, Duke’s post players also stepped up a level. Mason Plumlee had one of his strongest performances as a Blue Devil against Maryland, finishing with a double-double of 12 points and 11 boards against Terrapins’ star Jordan Williams. This showing came only one game after he struggled against St. John’s, putting up only two points and four rebounds in 18 minutes.

“I really think it was Mason’s best game at Duke,” Krzyzewski said. “And he played well for 36 minutes.”

Things may be coming together at the right time for the Blue Devils—effective post players, more natural positions and a better shooting percentage. Just in time for the week where Duke can show who’s best in the state of North Carolina.

Share and discuss “Duke looks to take down Wolfpack again” on social media.