Best Films of 2010 – Andrew O’Rourke

The first year of the new decade brought with it a very top-heavy year in the world of cinema; there were some really fantastic films at the top, many of which I couldn’t fit herein: Conviction, The Social Network and Scott Pilgrim for starters, and then there was a lot of rubbish.  Here are my favorites.

Black Swan - This film in many ways like a cinematic Hillary Clinton; people either loved it or hated it.  I personally loved it, but one cannot deny Aronofsky’s success at turning out another stunningly beautiful and disturbing film.  Natalie Portman delivers the performance of a lifetime in the horrendously challenging role of Nina.  For more in-depth thoughts, check out my post here.

Blue Valentine - This was one of the most shockingly honest and naturalistic films I’ve seen in a long time.  When I told people I had seen the film, everyone seemed to ask about the extended sex scene, but I honestly don’t remember it.  Everything seemed so organic to the performance that it all flowed together into one dark, miserable story.  Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling are both very worthy of their Golden Globe Nominations, and I’m sure more will come their way.

True Grit - The Coen brothers’ adaptation of the 1969 John Wayne film in many ways surpasses its predecessor. The beautifully photographed, simple western was a breath of fresh air in an era increasingly dominated by expensive visual effects. Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon and Hailee Steinfeld had a hilarious and heartfelt chemistry and were by far the best cinematic trio of this year.

The King’s Speech - Though the theater I saw this film in was packed with 70 year-olds who repeated every other line to their spouses, this film will speak to audiences of all ages with nary a stutter.  Exquisitely photographed and acted to create a dreary Enlgand on the brink of war, this film is heartwarming tale of friendship and overcoming challenges of all sorts.  Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush make a hilariously unlikely pair, eliciting tears and laughs with equal efficacy.

The Fighter - Mark Wahlberg’s character, Mickey, fights a lot more than just other boxers.  A compelling true story, The Fighter portrays the tenuous family and romantic relationships in Mickey’s life.  The story was captured from a very visceral, personal vantage point, fleshing out Mickey’s continuous struggle in a way not often captured in boxing films.

Share and discuss “Best Films of 2010 – Andrew O’Rourke” on social media.