Singler Named to Preseason All-America Team

Two forwards—one experienced, one a mere rookie—along Tobacco Road were named Monday to the Associated Press Preseason All-America Team.

Duke senior Kyle Singler was the leading vote getter on the team and the only repeat selection. The Blue Devils’ captain was listed on 62 of the 65 ballots in the media poll after being named the Most Outstanding Player of the Final Four last season and averaging 17.7 points and seven rebounds a game last season.

While Singler was widely expected to be an All-American this season after spurning the NBA for a chance at a repeat National Championship, many were surprised to see North Carolina freshman Harrison Barnes named to the team as well. The consensus No. 1 recruit in the 2010 class, Barnes is the first freshman to make the pre-season team since voting began in 1986.

The selection will likely add to the pressure on Barnes to revive the Tar Heels after a disastrous 2010 season that ended in an NIT berth and the departure of Ed Davis, Will Graves, and David and Travis Wear.

“This is indicative of the great respect that Harrison has nationally, and it’s an unbelievable accomplishment for a freshman,” North Carolina head coach Roy Williams told the AP. “I know Harrison would agree, however, that it would be even more exciting to make the All-America team that’s picked after the season.”

Barnes, though, received the lowest vote total amongst the 1st-team with 17. Joining Barnes and Singler are Kansas State’s Jacob Pullen, BYU’s Jimmer Fredette, and Purdue’s JaJuan Johnson, all of whom received more than 46 votes.

Share and discuss “Singler Named to Preseason All-America Team” on social media.