Mason and Miles ready to fill Zoubek’s shoes

After an underwhelming 2009-2010 campaign, the Plumlee brothers say they are ready to step up this season.

Brian Zoubek, who finished last year as the starting center and provided a physical presence and rebounding prowess, was also known for his thick beard, which symbolized the gritty way that he and fellow senior Lance Thomas played.

Although neither Miles nor Mason Plumlee—who together will form this year’s starting duo inside—can provide the facial hair that Zoubek did, they will be called upon to replace him on the court. Neither of the graduated seniors was known for his skill on the offensive end, but they each played tenacious defense, rebounded and provided valuable emotional leadership and maturity for the team.

“The biggest thing is that they brought a lot of experience,” Mason, a sophomore, said. “Our chemistry was really good.”

Last season, the “Big Three” of Jon Scheyer, Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler were heralded as a scoring trio—and deservedly so. But Thomas and Zoubek were just as essential to the team’s success on both ends of the floor. According to analyst Ken Pomeroy, Duke had the most efficient offense in the country last year when adjusted for competition level, with 123.5 points per 100 possessions. A lot of those points came on second-chance opportunities, like Smith’s 3-pointer in the Elite Eight off of a Thomas offensive rebound, which gave the Blue Devils the lead for good against Baylor.

“[Zoubek and Thomas had] a physical presence and mentality to play defense,” Miles, a junior, said. “They were relentless on the boards and brought energy to the team.... That was what enabled us to win the whole thing.”

This season, much of the focus will once again be on the explosive backcourt—Smith, Singler and Kyrie Irving all received votes for the Associated Press’s All-American team. But, as with last year, the frontcourt is an essential piece of the championship puzzle. Both Plumlees know how important their play will be to the team.

Even though the brothers were expected to start last year, Mason broke his wrist two days before the season opener and missed the first six games of the season, setting back his development as a player. Miles started the first 24 games last season, but inconsistent play led head coach Mike Krzyzewski to start Zoubek in his place in a home matchup against Maryland Feb. 13, and Miles came off of the bench for the remainder of the season.

This year, though, has a different feel to it.

“Being the oldest big and having two years under my belt—I just have a lot more confidence now,” Miles said. “I know what situations will arise for me to take advantage of.”

Mason can already see the difference in his older brother’s play, noting that the elder Plumlee looks better than he has at any point since Mason’s arrival.

Even though both are versatile enough to play away from the basket, they know they will be counted on more for their toughness in the paint this year to replace the edge that Thomas and Zoubek brought to the team.

“[Our role] is to be a presence inside and be aggressive,” Mason said.

Though both are quick to note their similarities, their games aren’t identical. According to Pomeroy, Mason’s assist rate was about three times higher than Miles’s despite similar turnover rates, while Miles was far more efficient at rebounding—especially on defense.

“Mason’s always been a great passer. I think with this team I’m probably focusing more on rebounding,” Miles said. “I’m really going to focus on what Zoubs did last year for us to win [because] I don’t want there to be any sort of hole this year.”

Although the Plumlees have improved as interior players, the talent and depth of this team mean that Krzyzewski will be asking the squad to run the floor a lot more—something the Plumlees are far better suited to than Zoubek and Thomas were. The brothers have routinely showcased their athletic ability, from participating in the high jump in high school to a number of breakaways in the 2009-10 season, highlighted by a fast-break alley-oop from Mason to Miles against Miami in the ACC Tournament.

“I know me and Mason are the fastest guys at our size,” Miles said. “Now we get a chance to prove it.”

Mason has already expressed no interest in growing a beard, but Miles experimented with one over the summer and won’t rule it out for this year. His summer beard wasn’t the same as Zoubek’s, but then again, this is a new team with a totally different style.

Share and discuss “Mason and Miles ready to fill Zoubek’s shoes” on social media.