Top McCallie Recruits Coming to Town

Head coach Joanne P. McCallie pulled in the top recruiting class in the nation last year, and from the looks of the recruits coming to campus this weekend, the fourth-year coach is at it again.

The Chronicle has learned that Betnijah Laney and Temi Fagbenle will tour Duke this weekend.

Laney is the No. 11-ranked player in the country, according to ESPN. A wing player, Laney is known for her prowess from long-range as well as her physicality.

A scouting report written July 17 says:

The transformation for Laney to the wing is still in progress. With a ball sweep, one or two dribbles. the 6-footer showed she could create shots for herself in the half court. She elevates well above the defenders and with her high release she can get her pull-up off even when well-defended.

Duke will compete with Connecticut and Rutgers in recruiting the Clayton, Del. native.

Fagbenle, who counts London, England as her hometown, is ESPN's No. 13 player in the 2011 class. A 6-foot-4 forward who is also being recruited by California and Connecticut, Fagbenle has made strides in her game lately, according to an April 10 scouting report:

The advancements in her game have really taken her to another level. All the physical tools we've seen in the past are there but now she uses them with much more confidence and a deeper set of skills to call upon. There's also an even greater assertiveness that adds to the approach she already took.

Share and discuss “Top McCallie Recruits Coming to Town” on social media.