The Tower replaces Tommy’s with more healthy options

New eatery The Tower, located in Tommy’s Rubs and Grubs old location in McLendon Tower, will serve fresh, local foods this year.

Construction of the K4 residence hall may be far from complete, but another tower has already moved in nearby.

The Tower, a grill-based eatery that replaces barbecue joint Tommy’s Rubs and Grubs, opened Sunday night. The restaurant features a revamped menu of local farm-raised meats and locally-grown produce. The new concept is still in the hands of Tommy’s owner Tom Meyer, Trinity ’91.

The Tower menu is lighter and generally healthier than that of its predecessor, featuring small plates, salads, sandwiches and “stix”—meats and vegetables marinated and grilled on skewers.

The Tower menu is lighter and generally healthier than that of its predecessor, featuring small plates, salads, sandwiches and “stix”—meats and vegetables marinated and grilled on skewers. Sandwich options range from a local burger made with all-natural Black Angus beef to chacareros—South American street sandwiches.

Although the restaurant targets a dinner audience, it also features some “pub favorites,” including house-made nachos and jumbo chicken wings. The Tower will be open from 5 p.m. to midnight Sunday through Wednesday, and until 2 a.m. Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, Meyer said.

“We really are serving the 2,600 students that are living in our 100-yard radius,” Meyer said. “People could feel like if you are eating light, a little more healthfully, this would be a fun, engaging place to come.”

Director of Dining Services Jim Wulforst asked for a change in restaurant concept in mid-July, and Meyer supported the change. The restaurant then went through a conceptual renovation in five weeks.

As part of the conceptual changes, the restaurant received a new look that features signs with facts about North Carolina agriculture and a fresh coat of green paint.

“They weren’t hitting the kind of revenue that they were hoping for,” Wulforst said. “Maybe barbecue was the wrong thing to do. The menu we have now is incredibly different.”

The restaurant should be successful because of its revamped menu and emphasis on customer service, Wulforst said, adding that the Tommy’s menu was “a little too heavy for folks.”

About half of The Tower staff is newly hired, including the general manager. Service should be quick, as well, due to a more efficient workflow, Meyer said.

“From a cashier’s point of view, there are four buttons you have to push and it’s done,” Meyer said, adding that guests should only wait two to four minutes for their food. “The cashier will then just have the job of being nice to the guest.”

Several students at the restaurant’s opening were satisfied with the new concept.

“It’s a lot healthier [than Tommy’s], which is good,” said sophomore Kristen Lee. “It reminds me of one of those new chic restaurants. It looks really cute.”

Many of the changes stem from suggestions by a focus group of students, Wulforst and Residence Life and Housing Services representatives, Meyer said, adding that he consulted dining surveys in making the changes. Results showed that students were displeased with several aspects of the barbecue joint, including its slow service and low inventory. The new restaurant will be committed to keeping items on the menu in stock, he said.

Share and discuss “The Tower replaces Tommy’s with more healthy options” on social media.