Dillo looks to revamp outdoor patio space

DUSDAC members sample sushi from Chef’s Deal, a proposed eatery with an Asian fusion menu, at their meeting Monday. Members also heard a presentation from Armadillo Grill at the meeting.

During its final meeting of the semester, the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee offered feedback to managers at Armadillo Grill, who presented to DUSDAC for the first time this year.

Armadillo Grill General Manager Erika Garris said the eatery strives to be a “home away from home” on campus since it opened in 1999.

“We make a conscious effort to get to know as many people, as many faces, as many names as possible,” Garris said.

This year, the eatery has focused on accommodating students’ dietary needs as well as providing students with a hangout space, she said.

Along with updating the alcohol options in the downstairs bar, Garris said she plans to redecorate the patio area to accommodate larger groups.

“Right now, the outdoor space is neglected,” she said. “But when weather [permits], we try to use it as much as possible.”

Garris added that Armadillo Grill has increased its yearly sales by 6 percent, which is greater than the average nationwide increase of 3 percent in the food industry. The number of customers has also increased, though food prices have remained about the same, she said.

“We are not trying to nickel-and-dime anybody,” Garris said. “We want you to spend your food points wisely. We’re trying to make you full for less.”

In other business:

Mario Vidic, general manager of Chef’s Deal—a proposed eatery concept featuring Asian food—said the dining options at Duke lacked a comprehensive Asian fusion menu, including fresh sushi.

“From my five years at [George’s Garage], I know there is a need for this menu on campus,” Vidic said. “Our goal is to create a concept that you have never had before. We offer something original.”

The eatery includes a Korean rice dish called “bibimbap,” a hot pot option and à la carte selections.

Vidic said he wants to open a standing restaurant on campus, as well as deliver on food points.

“[Chef’s Deal] is a creative product, and I think Duke students would like it, but they need to change their business model for it to succeed on campus,” said DUSDAC co-Chair Jason Taylor, a senior. “It needs to be simpler.”

Still, Director of Dining Services Jim Wulforst said at the end of the meeting that new vendors will most likely not open in the upcoming academic year because of budget constraints.

Share and discuss “Dillo looks to revamp outdoor patio space” on social media.