Jay Sean and Flogging Molly will headline LDOC

LDOC Committee chairs announced Tuesday that Jay Sean and Flogging Molly will headline the Last Day of Class celebrations April 28. Other performers include Rooney and Big D and the Kids Table.

Jay Sean and Flogging Molly will bring European flair to the Last Day of Classes this year.

R&B artist Jay Sean and Irish rock band Flogging Molly will co-headline this year's LDOC celebration, seniors Christie Falco and Liz Turner, LDOC Committee co-chairs, announced Tuesday afternoon.

Pop artist Rooney and ska band Big D and the Kids Table will also perform at the annual event, according to the LDOC Committee news release.

The event is free and open to all Duke community members, and the show will begin at approximately 6 p.m. April 28, according to the release.

"The show is not open to the public and extra measures will be taken to ensure that the safety of students and integrity of the campus is preserved," the release said.

This year's LDOC headliners will bring an international sound to the celebration.

Jay Sean is a British singer-songwriter and actor whose third album, "All or Nothing," featured U.S. artist Lil' Wayne on its single "Down" and captured the top spot on Billboard Hot 100 in Oct. 2009.

“More than anything, Jay is just really happy to get out to the colleges and meet his fans and see everyone up close,” his day-to-day manager Thara Natalie said in a February interview. “That’s why he’s really excited to do the colleges, to meet the older crowd, not just his teeny-bopper fans.”

Flogging Molly is a modern rock band influenced by traditional Irish music, according to the band's Web site. The band, founded in 1997, draws on "a musical history ranging from old world Celtic to modern day punk rock" to create its music, according to its site.

"We're not a traditional band," Dublin-born frontman Dave King said in the band's biography. "We are influenced by traditional music and inspired by it, and we put our own little twist on it."

Pop band Rooney formed in late 1999, and is best known for its 2004 single, "I'm Shakin'."

Big D and the Kids Table, a ska band formed in 1995, has released more than 11 albums in its 15-year history.

Share and discuss “Jay Sean and Flogging Molly will headline LDOC” on social media.