Eight to be selected as ‘diversity diners’

At DUSDAC’s meeting Monday night, senior Michael Kramarz (left) and other members decided that the group will select eight students as “diversity diners” beginning March 2. Karmarz spearheaded the initiative, which will bring together the diversity diners to discuss diversity issues such as Greek life, alcohol, religion and sex.

Beginning March 2, the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee will pick eight students to dine together bimonthly and discuss controversial topics like Greek life, alcohol, religion and sex.

The tentatively named “diversity dinners” were inspired by Across the Table, a Chicago-based nonprofit program that creates an open forum for different people to share their thoughts.

From the pool of applications, DUSDAC will choose a group of students from wide-ranging backgrounds and interests.

“We decided to stay away from boxes that ask about specifics because everyone is diverse beyond something like their race,” said senior Michael Kramarz, a committee member who is spearheading the initiative.

Instead, the application will consist of an open box that asks a question, such as “What’s unique about you?” he said.

The dinner will take place in a private room in the Law School Refectory and will be catered by Refectory owner Laura Hall.

DUSDAC will seek funding from various sources, including Duke Student Government and the administration, to cover the costs of the dinners.

In other business:

The Central Campus restaurant’s interior is still under construction, which may delay its official March 1 opening. Inclement weather contributed to the eatery’s setback.

Sarah McGowan, marketing manager for Bon Appétit, sought DUSDAC input for the 2010 Student Voice Survey, an online questionnaire critiquing the quality of the food and service of Bon Appétit eateries.

“We analyze the survey and see what changes we can make to make everyone happy,” McGowan said.

Share and discuss “Eight to be selected as ‘diversity diners’” on social media.