Duke hosts tournament

Only two games separate No. 11 Duke from ACC play-but neither of them will roll over for the Blue Devils, as they face their last non-conference competition of the year.

Duke hosts the Duke Classic this weekend, taking on Fordham (3-1-1) Friday at 7:30 p.m. and closing the weekend with a game against Georgia (2-4) Sunday at 2:30 p.m. The Blue Devils knocked off the Bulldogs in the NCAA tournament last year.

The Blue Devils (6-1) have played teams with a variety of styles in their non-conference schedule, which head coach Robbie Church deliberately planned. The ACC is stacked with squads that all play differently, and all use their styles well-six of the nation's top 15 teams are in the ACC.

Church wanted his Duke team to be adequately prepared.

"In the past, physical teams have usually presented a match-up problem for us," Church said. "So far this season, against physical Midwestern teams such as Dayton and Ohio State, we have proven our resilience and come from behind to win."

The players have also noticed a change in the teams' overall improved level of play.

"Against Dayton, we went into halftime down 1-0 on a late goal in the half. Instead of just accepting the score, we emphasized not to give up and to focus on getting the goal back and then scoring another," junior forward KayAnne Gummersall said. "This year, our team plays with more confidence, especially in tough situations."

"It's helped the team adapt better to different situations," senior defender Kelly McCann said. "We play more confidently and have more experience, so I think we will do better."

This team's more potent offense represents another key reason why the team approaches the field with a newfound swagger.

Averaging more than three and a half goals per game, Duke has attacked more aggressively and has capitalized better on presented opportunities. That was the focus of their preseason training, when the Blue Devils started practicing offense before defense-a change from recent years.

"We've been much more offensive-minded this year than in previous years," Church said. "The players have been very strong in attacking, finding ways to create and finish consistently."

"Our team motto this year has been 'Taking care of business,'" Gummersall said. "Offensively and defensively, we try to execute with full energy from beginning to end, making sure to finish just as strongly as we start. We aim to score every chance we get, and the defense aims shutout every game. We have translated our strong practices onto the field."

A continuation of this level of play will be needed on the field for the upcoming tournament. Fordham, one of the elite teams in the Atlantic 10, should pose a challenge to the Blue Devils. And after that, Duke knows it has a tough opponent in Georgia despite the Bulldogs' mark.

"They might have a losing record, but their opponents include the No. 2, No. 6, No. 7, and No. 3 clubs in the nation," McCann said.

No matter the competition, the players know their schedule has prepared them for anything.

Share and discuss “Duke hosts tournament” on social media.