Pair of Blue Devils drafted by MLS

Duke seniors Zack Pope and Tim Jepson were selected in the Major League Soccer Supplemental Draft, becoming the fourth and fifth Blue Devils drafted into the professional league this off-season.

Pope was taken by the Chicago Fire in the third round with the 40th overall pick. Jepson was chosen by the San Jose Earthquakes three picks later in the fourth round of the supplemental draft.

Pope, a midfielder, tallied eight goals and 28 assists during his four-year career at Duke. The Round Rock, Texas native started 50 of the 76 matches he played in and was an ACC All-Tournament selection in 2005 and All-ACC Academic team member in 2006.

Despite missing the first 10 games of his senior season with a hamstring injury, Tim Jepson started all 77 of his matches as a Blue Devil. The lynchpin of the Duke defense, Jepson scored two goals and recorded four assists. The two-time team captain and Yorba Linda, Calif. native was one of five finalists for the Lowe's Senior CLASS award for men's soccer in 2007 as well as a member of the ACC All-Tournament team in 2006 and two-time member of the All-ACC Academic team. Jepson was also named to the NCAA All-South region team last season after Duke lost to Louisville, 1-0.

Five of the Blue Devils' 13 seniors have now been selected by MLS this year. Pope and Jepson join teammates Michael Videira, Joe Germanese and Spencer Wadsworth in the professional league. Videira, Germanese and Wadsworth were all chosen by the New England Revolution Jan. 18 in the MLS SuperDraft.

The senior class was one of the most decorated in Duke history. The group won two ACC championships and earned a trip to the College Cup while compiling 59 victories in four seasons.

Share and discuss “Pair of Blue Devils drafted by MLS” on social media.