Students join rally for immigration reform

"No más miedo"-no more fear-was the message white-T-shirt-clad ralliers tried to convey, as dozens of Duke students, faculty and staff opted to skip work or class Monday in favor of raising awareness about immigrants' rights.

The protest, a part of a continuing national effort taking place in several cities over the past few months, began at 11:30 a.m. at the Levine Science Research Center.

It concluded approximately two hours later on the Chapel Quadrangle, as demonstrators joined the effort at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill via the Robertsons Scholars bus. From there, ralliers traveled to Siler City, N.C., where an estimated 3,000 activists gathered at the Town Hall for a peaceful demonstration.

Duke organizers said demonstrators marched to various locations around campus, especially where there is a significant Latino employee presence.

The group encountered a lone challenge-a patron at The Loop who informed them that "he felt he shouldn't have to hear it if he didn't want to," said junior Ted Gilliland, who witnessed the incident at the restaurant.

Monday's national effort, termed the National Day of Action for Immigrant Justice, is what some are calling the largest national mobilization of immigrants in American history. National organizers expected a turnout of 2 million people to rally across the country.

Currently, the United States has approximately 12 million illegal immigrants, a figure that has tripled since 1980. North Carolina is home to an estimated 350,000 illegal immigrants.

Lawmakers in Washington have struggled to find a solution for the issue over which many Americans are split.

On the one hand, many people are in favor of providing immigrants with better opportunities, and pro-business thinkers support contributions to the labor force that many immigrants provide. Others, however, do not condone the relative amnesty being given to people that are breaking the law, individuals who potentially pose a threat to national security.

Many of the protests were launched in response to legislation calling for enhanced border patrol and the felonization of illegal immigration. The bill-HR 4437-passed the House of Representatives in December.

Pedro Lasch, interim director of the Latino/a Studies Initiative and visiting assistant professor of the practice of visual arts, said Sunday that a "core group of organizers" support the McCain-Kennedy legislation.

The compromise bill, which was shot down by Congress last week, includes enhanced border-security elements and a provision that would allow immigrants who have lived in the country for at least five years to earn full citizenship, granted they meet key requirements.

Many protesters are hoping that the recent flurry of demonstrations will urge lawmakers to reconsider the McCain-Kennedy bill, the Associated Press reported.

Organizers of Monday's Duke-based effort, which Lasch dubbed a "walking discussion," sought to raise awareness about issues pertaining to immigrants' rights-legislation, new developments and the way the cause is portrayed in the mainstream media-within the Duke community.

"The people here aren't only interested in standing outside, but also coming up with solutions," said senior Tomas Lopez, co-president of Mi Gente.

Lopez added that the biggest challenge facing the group now is "sustaining substantive conversations."

Junior Sally Bascunan said she does not think enough of the Duke community understands the significance of the issue.

"Duke doesn't provide the space to engage this type of conversation," she said.

Lopez added that the University will have to play a significant role in "crystallizing the framework" to allow such conversations to be initiated.

Another Durham-based march, the Pilgrimage for Justice and Peace, is scheduled to take place April 13.

Share and discuss “Students join rally for immigration reform” on social media.