Gamers find new home in Franklin Center

In some ways, the class is just like every seminar.

Some students are engaged in discussion of topics like narrative, history and character development, while others sit in the back playing video games.

But in the Information Science & Information Studies course "How They Got Game," the professors encourage the latter.

The class tracks and analyzes the history and impact of video games on society. The homework includes both reading and preparatory gameplay on platforms like the Microsoft Xbox 360 and the Sony Playstation 2.

The class is one of a few that have started to utilize the new Interactive Multimedia Project Space-a center that includes four 50-inch plasma screens, a projector system, state-of-the-art video game systems and IP-based videoconferencing.

Project coordinators of the room, which is located in the John Hope Franklin Center, held an open house Tuesday.

"It would be goofy, stupid and superfluous if this center is not about a new way of learning," said Cathy Davidson, vice provost for interdisciplinary studies.

She added that the gaming room is cutting-edge.

"We are trying to explore the idea that the Internet and gaming... influenced the way we perceive the world and how we learn."

She added that as a professor, she has seen writing skills improve as students spend time reading and writing through the "intricate poetry of texting" or reading and replying to e-mails.

"The focus of the University is to think about how we think," Davidson explained. "With this room, Duke allows us to study a new technology, even at its inception."

She added that the Internet age is the first time individuals have studied the ramifications of a technology on society so soon after its creation.

Experts demonstrated the technology built into the room. The audience, which was partly composed of professors interested in using the facility for Fall 2006 semester courses, was particularly impressed by the electronic blinds.

During the demonstration, one audience member said it felt like being in Disneyland.

The experts also displayed a white board, which has a camera attached to take photos of what is on the board. The images are stored automatically online.

Zach Pogue, a network systems analyst who helps the professors for "How They Got Game," said students are receptive to the course. He noted that several undergraduates have thanked him, said it was the best experience they have had at Duke and wanted to stay after to continue gaming.

"The students don't have access to the technologies outside of this room," he said, adding that he thinks the course fills a niche on campus.

There are 29 men and three women enrolled in the class. Students and professors agreed that although it is dissimilar to others in the University, the course is still very academic. "If people take this class so they can play games, they are probably in big trouble," Pogue said.

In Tuesday's class, the students discussed the influence of narrative on massive multi-player online role playing games in comparison with one-player RPGs. The slide in the front of the screen detailed the history of the video game series Final Fantasy, contrasting the characters and gameplay among some of the 11 games in the series.

One student in class noted that he had beaten Final Fantasy 7 several times, once even racing to finish before a friend.

The professor and class discussed other games, including Grand Theft Auto and Star WarsGalaxies. The class also studied Dungeons and Dragons gaming earlier in the semester.

Senior Ali Chhotani, a member of the class, said although he is not a gamer, he finds the class fun and also highly academic.

"There are various readings on how video games have impacted our culture-how they went from being built in someone's garage to a billion-dollar business that competes with the movie industry," he said. "Such a big player merits some research on how it influences the way we live."

Share and discuss “Gamers find new home in Franklin Center” on social media.