Franklin to deliver graduation speech

John Hope Franklin, world-renowned African American scholar and James B. Duke professor emeritus of history, has been named the 2006 commencement speaker, President Richard Brodhead announced Thursday.

Franklin is widely recognized as one of the most distinguished African American historians. He has been awarded honorary degrees from more than 100 colleges and universities-including one from Duke in 1998.

"He is someone who has led a life of consequence," Brodhead said of Franklin, noting that he is credited with helping launch the field of African American studies.

The 91-year-old author of books such as From Slavery to Freedom and the recently published Mirror to America: The Autobiography of John Hope Franklin said he is excited to give the address.

"Commencements are an important milestone in the life of the University as well as the life of the graduates themselves," Franklin said. "I would hope I would have a message that enriches the community as well as the graduates-something that will resonate with them."

Franklin said he was contacted by Brodhead to speak at commencement about six weeks ago.

"When you choose a commencement speaker, you want somebody of serious accomplishment who will tune into the occasion," Brodhead said. "He knows this place.... This has been his chosen home for 25 years."

Emily Aviki, senior class president and member of the commencement speaker nominating committee, said Franklin was not one of the 20 speakers initially proposed during the summer by the group-which is composed of both students and administrators.

In the fall, the committee whittled the list down to their top five choices. Aviki said the list included Grant Hill, Orlando Magic forward and Trinity '94; Sheikha Mozah, the queen of Qatar; Sandra Day O'Connor, retired Supreme Court Justice; actress Meryl Streep and talk show host Oprah Winfrey.

Brodhead said he made a "good-faith effort" to secure one of the committee's nominees. He emphasized, however, that he is pleased with, and confident in, the selection.

"[Franklin] has a value that may not be initially apparent," Brodhead said. "Commencement speakers are a dicey lot. Every school has the same list of people... but having people who know a place has a value, too."

Franklin received the nation's highest civilian honor-the Presidential Medal of Freedom-in 1995 and was appointed by former President Bill Clinton to chair the advisory board for One America, Clinton's initiative on race.

Senior Fred McGee said he was pleased that Duke chose a black speaker for graduation, and it will be worthwhile for students to hear Franklin speak.

"I think a lot of African Americans and students at Duke at large don't really know much about him," McGee said. "We can read about him all day long, but until we hear it from from the horse's mouth, we will never know who this Dr. Franklin is."

Duke's 2005 commencement speaker was Ricardo Lagos, then-president of Chile. Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright spoke in 2004.

United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan was scheduled to address the 2003 graduates but cancelled at the last minute because of illness. Former Duke President Nan Keohane addressed the community instead, reading a statement prepared by Annan.

The 2006 commencement speech will be delivered May 14, when Franklin will address Duke graduates, their friends and family in Wallace Wade Stadium.

Share and discuss “Franklin to deliver graduation speech” on social media.