Tough task reveals character

The Blue Devils' 81-74 victory over Michigan State perfectly depicted the cast of characters on the Duke squad. Specifically, the role each upperclassman performed in this early-season test should indicate the role he will take on as the season progresses and the games get tougher.

The Blue Devils’ 81-74 victory over Michigan State perfectly depicted the cast of characters on the Duke squad. Specifically, the role each upperclassman performed in this early-season test should indicate the role he will take on as the season progresses and the games get tougher.

Daniel Ewing established himself as “The Man,” setting the tempo of the Duke offense from start to finish. The co-captain led the team with 29 points and 6 assists, but more importantly, Ewing stepped up when it mattered most. In the first half, Ewing began the game by nailing a three. Then, with the Spartans out to an sizable lead, Ewing turned the momentum around by hitting an 18-foot jump shot while being fouled. Ewing then provided a celebratory fist pump, which encouraged to crowd to erupt and the Blue Devils to get hot.

In the second half, with Michigan State focused on containing J.J. Redick, Ewing climbed another flight of stairs. He scored seven consecutive points from the 8:00 mark to the 5:00 mark, and the guard hit the nail-in-the-coffin shot—a three-pointer with one minute remaining that put Duke up by five. Ewing put the team on his back during the game’s most intense moments, and you can count on encore performances as the season rolls along.

“Daniel had the look of a champion on the court,” head coach Mike Krzyzewski said.

J.J. Redick, the “Hot Hand,” is the other half of Duke’s dynamic duo, and tonight Redick frustrated the Spartans with his incomparable shooting touch. The junior co-captain tied Ewing’s team-leading 29 points, and Redick was the go-to guy in the first half as Duke built an eight-point lead. J.J. could always hit threes from several feet behind the arc—which he did twice—but tonight J.J. showed his improvement in other areas from a season ago. He is no longer just a catch-and-shoot guy, as Redick penetrated the Michigan State defense with his refined head-fake, which Krzyzewski said is the most improved part of Redick’s game. The Roanoke, Va., native also used to be a defensive liability, but tonight he held his opponents in check thanks to superior off-season conditioning.

Shelden Williams is cast as “The Landlord” for the second year in a row, and the Spartans learned this the hard way. Williams flashed his dominant defensive abilities on multiple occasions, blocking five shots and forcing many awkward attempts from an offense that relies on its inside game. The junior also posted his third double-double of the season, reinforcing his position as the ACC’s reigning king of double-doubles.

The Forest Park, Okla., native also made the Cameron Crazies sigh, moan and scratch their heads, however, with his five turnovers and four fouls. Over the course of the season, fans can count on Williams to be a stalwart whose game lapses on occasion.

Sean Dockery showed tonight why he is the “Little Things Guy,” because his contributions often go unnoticed. Dockery committed only one turnover, notched three steals, stuck to his opponent like glue on defense and provided a spark when he tussled with the Spartans’ Alan Anderson in the middle of a loose-ball dog pile.

The junior had only one field-goal on one attempt, but it was arguably the most crucial bucket of the game—a floater to put Duke up 75-72 with two minutes to go. It was a rare spotlight moment for Dockery, who will continue to do the little things.

Shavlik Randolph exhibited tonight that he is the “X-Factor,” because you never know how he will affect the game’s outcome. Early foul trouble landed Randolph on the bench midway through the first half, but the junior provided a steady defensive presence in the second period and drained three free-throws to help seal the victory. It will be tough to predict in any game whether Randolph will post double-digit points or spend most of the game in foul trouble.

Reggie Love played the “Resident Football Player,” fouling out of the game in only four minutes of work, but Love showed aggressiveness on the offensive glass. You can expect that Love will commit a lot of fouls and grab a lot of boards, and he should last longer than four minutes on most occasions.

Lee Melchionni is well-suited to his role as “The Energy Lifter,” which he certainly was against Michigan State by cheering loudly from the bench and providing a spark in his 11 minutes. In addition to hitting a three during Duke’s first-half run, Melchionni helped increase the decibel level to deafening heights when he instructed the Cameron Crazies to “raise the roof.”

There are also “The Freshmen,” David McClure and DeMarcus Nelson, who played little tonight but will play more as they wet their feet in college basketball. McClure provided one spectacular moment in his cameo appearance, making a tough layup in traffic from directly under the basket.

Coach K’s squad has a unique cast of characters, each of whom brings something different to the table. After putting on an impressive opening performance, the Blue Devils must continue to fulfill their respective roles in order to succeed as the season rolls along.

Share and discuss “Tough task reveals character” on social media.