Renewed Oak Room strives to improve

After three weeks of testing the waters as the new fine dining option on campus, the latest edition of The Oak Room has made a smooth transition under its new manager, Fares Hanna.

Both Hanna and Jim Wulforst, director of dining services, are pleased about The Blue Bistro's debut performance. "Things are going wonderful. We have had a lot of positive feedback from our customers about the menu, the flavor of the food and the service. We have also been receiving more requests for catering," Hanna said.

The Blue Bistro - formerly known as The Oak Room Grille - reopened Feb. 3 after closing at the end of last semester. In December, dining services transferred control of the eatery from ARAMARK Corp. to Hanna, who also manages Blue Express in the Levine Science Research Center.

Overall student reactions to the management shake-up range from mediocre to positive, with some emphasizing increased food quality. "I have come to almost every evolution The Oak Room has had. The quality of food across the board [in The Blue Bistro] is just better," said junior Taylor Siedell.

Juniors Julie Flom and Rebecca Greif did not notice such a significant difference from the previous Oak Room Grille, although Greif noted that the Bistro was a "good change from The Great Hall."

While many students seemed pleased with their meals, a few were unsatisfied with the size and variety of the new menu. "I would have liked to see a larger menu," said senior Russ Fenton, an Oak Room veteran. "Although sometimes I thought the old Oak Room tried to be a little too fancy. Sometimes you just want fettuccine alfredo. I ordered that tonight, they put some peas on it, made it look nice, and it was great."

Senior Debbie Seibold added that the new eatery could expand its range of offerings.

"There was good selection, although I would like to see more vegetarian and vegan options," she said.

Hanna said the restaurant would work to accommodate more students' food preferences as the semester goes along.

"We will also be catering more to vegetarians and vegans because there is such a large demand for it. We are very open for suggestions," he said.

One of the most significant changes noticed by students was the system by which tips can be charged to food points and FLEX.

"That's huge," Seibold said. "It's the best part about [the Bistro]. Now you don't have to worry about running back to your room for cash. Students will definitely be more likely to tip."

Wulforst noted that tips for servers have increased to approximately 20 percent as a result of the new system. "The staff is just really pleased about that," he said.

As far as service is concerned, students said that the Bistro equals the previous Oak Room Grille, if not surpassing it. "Last semester, I didn't know any of the managers, but now the service has been stepped up completely," said junior Gabrielle Thompson, a regular Oak Room diner.

Others did not notice quite so drastic a change. Commenting on whether she noticed a change in service, senior Ashley Falcon said, "Aside from the blue shirts, no."

Hanna is confident that with a few changes, business at The Blue Bistro will continue moving in a positive direction. Based on feedback from customers, dining services and the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee, changes to the menu will be made by March. "Our big request has been for crab legs, which we will be bringing soon," Hanna said.

Other future changes include a liquor license in the next few weeks and a complete renovation during the summer. Wulforst and Hanna are even considering keeping the Bistro open for lunch during the summer, depending on the volume of business during the semester.

While much of the dinner crowd comprises Oak Room veterans who have seen the restaurant through its highlights and struggles, the general consensus seems to be a positive attitude towards the new Bistro. "People should definitely give it a shot," senior Justin Jaworski said.

Share and discuss “Renewed Oak Room strives to improve” on social media.