Supporters commemorate opening of Jewish center

After 14 years of diligent fund raising and passionate debate, more than 600 students, parents and administrators gathered Sunday at the dedication of the Freeman Center for Jewish Life. The emotional event marked the long-awaited commemoration of Jewish culture at the University.

Following a traditional blessing by Judith Ruderman, vice provost for academic and administrative services, master of ceremonies Joel Fleishman welcomed the congregation and said he was thrilled to introduce the cultural center, which he hoped would add to "the philosophical and educational values of the University."

Fleishman, a professor of law and public policy, also thanked the many individuals who dedicated themselves to the pursuit of a Jewish center and emphasized the "controversy and conviction" and the "blood, sweat and tears" with which the 14-year project came to fruition.

President Nan Keohane followed Fleishman's introduction with remarks about her enthusiasm and expectations for the future of the Jewish community center. "This wonderful space is both lovely and practical... and its soul is large," she said.

CJL Director Roger Kaplan said a Jewish community has existed at Duke and Trinity College since 1908, but now members of this group finally have "a room to call their own."

Brian Freeman, the naming donor of the CJL, also spoke passionately about a religious center that would enhance not only the cultural life of the University, but also the lives of his three children, who currently attend or have attended the University in the past.

"Creating an institution like this was an incredible opportunity, and I am just glad I was able to take advantage of the opportunity to be a part of it," he said.

He expressed his hopes that students of all religious affiliations be able to take advantage of the center's extensive resources, including two kosher kitchens and spaces for students to attend services, host social functions and study.

Members of all different facets of the University community have already enjoyed the center's resources. Since the beginning of October, the CJL has hosted a variety of events including an all-greek mixer and an open mic night.

Randall Kaplan of Hillel International ended the series of speeches, recognitions and awards with a positive message about the future of Jewish life on campus: "This facility puts Duke at the forefront of a Jewish renaissance in universities all over the country," he said.

Jewish students concluded the ceremony by symbolically walking past a mezuzah, a traditional miniature scroll posted at an entrance to the center.

The two-hour grand opening included speeches from outstanding members of the University's Jewish community who enthusiastically expressed thanks and appreciation to hundreds of the center's contributors.

A reception and performances by the Ciompi Quartet and the Triangle Jewish Chorale enhanced the festive atmosphere.

At the reception afterward, student members of the CJL student board excitedly discussed the future of the center and its effect on the dynamic of University culture.

Trinity senior Ori Preis said he believes the CJL will enhance Duke's future application pools. "I went to a Jewish high school and at one time students there wouldn't even look at Duke," he said. "Now a lot of talented students have an incentive to apply and I think it will make a more dynamic community," he said.

Trinity sophomore Mike Smolow said, "It is so exciting to see 14 years finally come to fruition.... The Jewish life will be much more visible, and I think it will create a broader cultural understanding on campus."

Share and discuss “Supporters commemorate opening of Jewish center” on social media.