Nobel Prize winner will speak Thurs.

Nobel Prize winner Val Fitch, a professor of physics at Princeton University, will discuss "What Paces Discoveries in Physics: Close Calls and Near Misses" on March 22 at 4 p.m.

Fitch won the Nobel Prize in 1980 for discovering violations of fundamental symmetry principles in the decay of neutral K-mesons. His speech, a special colloquium for the math department, will be held in 114 Physics Building and is designed for a general audience. For information, call 660-2812.

Applications available for Trustee committees: Duke Student Government is distributing applications and information packets for student representative positions on Board of Trustees committees and Presidential committees. Positions are available on the Trustees' business and finance, academic affairs, buildings and grounds, medical center affairs, student affairs and facilities and environment committees. Also, the President's Advisory Council on Resources and the President's Committee on Black Affairs are looking for students. Applications are available outside the DSG office and are due March 24.

Donations endow 2 Divinity School scholarship funds: The Divinity School's Baptist House of Studies recently received pledges for $200,000 to two endowed scholarship funds-The John W. Carlton Scholarship Endowment Fund and the Carlyle Marney Scholarship Endowment-to help support Baptist students.

The Baptist House administers courses in Baptist history, thought and practice and helps students with financial aid, field education and job placement. Since 1990, the Baptist student population at the school has risen from 25 to nearly 100.

The late John W. Carlton earned both his divinity and doctoral degrees from the University and taught preaching at the school.

The late Carlyle Marney, a teacher at the school, was a popular lecturer at schools across the country. Marney's papers are housed at the University.

Award brings Israeli performance artist to Duke: Uri Katzenstein, a famous Israeli performance artist, has been named the first recipient of the Evans Israel Academic and Cultural Residency Programs. He will be in residence at the University from March 19 through 31, to present "Families," a conglomeration of exhibitions, performances and lectures.

Katzenstein will present four public exhibitions while at Duke. At 5:30 p.m. March 23, he will present "The Family of Brothers," a sculpture, sound and video-performance, at the Freeman Center for Jewish Life. "Relatives," at the Louise Jones Brown Gallery in the Bryan Center, will be shown at 3 p.m. March 24.

He will also present a lecture on his work at 12 p.m. March 28 at the Center for Documentary Studies. Finally, "Surnames" will be a live performance accompanied by the exhibition of "Blood Drawings" at 5 p.m. March 29 at the Duke University Museum of Art.

The program, funded by the Evans Family Foundation, is a three-year project meant to promote exchange of arts between Duke and Israel.

The foundation was founded in honor of the late E.J. "Mutt" Evans, former mayor of Durham, and his wife, the late Sara Evans.

Neuroscientist to speak: Leslie Ungerleider, an internationally recognized neuroscientist, will speak in the Levine Science and Research Center's Love Auditorium at 4 p.m. Thursday.

Ungerleider, the chief of the laboratory of brain and cognition at the National Institute of Mental Health will discuss the "Cortical Circuits for Cognition and Awareness" as the last part of the 1999-2000 Mind, Brain and Behavior Distinguished Lecture Series. Her talk is free and open to the public.

Ungerleider's research interests include determining how "top-down" influences of attention and memory affect perceptual processing. She also explores the cortical mechanisms mediating perception and memory in humans.

Anthropologist looks at peace in Guatemala: Diane Nelson of Lewis & Clark College will discuss "'The More You Kill, the More You Will Live': The Maya, 'race,' and the Bio-political Economy of Peace in Guatemala." Nelson's speech will be at 3:30 p.m. Friday, in the Breedlove Room in Perkins Library.

The speech comes as part of the John Hope Franklin Seminar for Interdisciplinary Studies in the Humanities; this year, the seminar's theme is "Race and Nation-Building in the Americas."

Nelson is an assistant professor of anthropology and sponsoring faculty in Latin American studies at Lewis & Clark. Her work examines the relationships between Mesoamerica, ethnic national identities, gender, popular culture, film, new technologies, power and subject formation. For more information, contact Mark Olson at 684-6470 or e-mail mark.olson@duke.edu.

Biblical scholar speaks: New Testament scholar Gordon Fee will give his first lecture, "Wisdom Christology in Paul? Some Reflections on the Pre-existence of Christ in Paul" at 11 a.m. Tuesday in room 022 of the Divinity School. His second lecture, "Paul and the Trinity: The Experience of Christ and the Spirit for Paul's Understanding of God" will take place at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday in the school's Alumni Memorial common Room.

Fee, a professor of New Testament at Regent College and an ordained minister with the Assemblies of God, is coming through the annual Kenneth W. Clark lectures.

Hunt presents awards to 2 Duke figures: As part of the N.C. Council of Women's annual awards banquet, Gov. Jim Hunt presented awards to Mary D.B.T. Semans, a former University trustee, and Juanita Kreps, a long-time professor who earned her doctorate in economics from the University.

Semans is chair of the Duke Endowment and was recognized for her public service. Kreps, a former secretary of the U.S. Department of Commerce, was recognized in the education category.

Keohane recognized for outstanding leadership in education: President Nan Keohane won the fifth annual Josephine D. Clement Award for Exemplary Community Leadership for Public Education in Durham. She shared the award, presented last Thursday by the Durham Public Education Network, with North Carolina Central University Chancellor Julius Chambers. The award honors the late Clement, a civil rights and public education advocate from Durham-and recognizes individuals who rally the community around initiatives to set high standards in public schools.

Spiritual leader and scholar to speak: At 8 p.m. Wednesday, Mama Lola, a healer and spiritual leader of the Haitian community in New York City, and Karen McCarthy Brown, a professor at Drew University, will give a joint presentation in Griffith Film Theater.

Brown, a professor of the sociology and anthropology of religion, is the author of the book Mama Lola: A Voodou Priestess in Brooklyn.

For more information, call 660-3500.

Share and discuss “Nobel Prize winner will speak Thurs.” on social media.