MSA condemns terrorism, warns against prejudice

In light of the tragic events that took place yesterday, Tuesday, Sept. 11, the Muslim Students Association of Duke University would like to condemn in the strongest possible way the unjustifiable, immoral and senseless acts of terrorism that occurred in New York City, Washington, D.C. and Pennsylvania. We support the statement released by the Council of American-Islamic Relations in this condemnation of what are apparently vicious and cowardly acts of terrorism against innocent civilians. We join with all Americans in calling for the swift apprehension and punishment of the perpetrators.

Based on the Quran, the Muslim Holy Book, and the sayings of Prophet Mohammad, the act of inciting terror in the hearts of defenseless civilians, the wholesale destruction of buildings and properties and the environment, the bombing and maiming of innocent men, women and children are all forbidden and detestable acts. Acts of terrorism are not only condemned in Islam but are also pointedly declared alien to the teachings of Islam. Thus, if those who committed this heinous act claimed it to be in the name of Islam, then they do not represent the true ideals of Islam.

However, at the same time, the MSA would like to caution against the premature assignment of culpability. It is dangerous because it precludes the American premise of innocent until proven guilty. For instance, following the Oklahoma City bombing many American Muslims were victims of hate crimes and discrimination although later evidence linked the tragedy to American terrorists. Such discriminative treatment of American citizens who happen to be Muslim without substantial evidence of wrong doing is not only hurtful to the people involved but hurtful to the notion of America's democratic and judicial principles.

The focus right now is on the countless victims and their friends and families on this tragically sad day, which also include loved ones of MSA members. With the nation still in shock and the effects of this national crisis hitting home for many of us in the Duke community, MSA expresses its own shock and deepest sorrow at this enormous tragedy. And as true Muslims, we extend our hearts, thoughts and prayers to the families who have lost loved ones on that terrible day.

Lala Qadir

Trinity '02

Saima Hussein

Trinity '02

The writers are

co-presidents of MSA.

Share and discuss “MSA condemns terrorism, warns against prejudice” on social media.