LDOC now a full-day festival

B.o.B will bring the magic to campus as the headlining act in today’s Last Day of Classes celebration.

Joining hip-hop artist B.o.B. at tonight’s concert will be mashup artist 3LAU, Eurodance singer DJ Basshunter and rappers Macklemore x Ryan Lewis. The LDOC committee has also expanded festivities to including a number of daytime activities such as free massages, a Hunger Games-themed breakfast and more.

The day-long LDOC activities were primarily developed by students. The Office of Student Affairs and student organizers have collaborated to place less of an emphasis on drinking in recent years, Vice President of Student Affairs Larry Moneta said.

“Students have shaped LDOC to be about music, camaraderie, [and a] celebration of a year’s worth of hard work and more music,” Moneta wrote in an email Tuesday. “Students have also shaped the event to be less about drinking, more about enjoying each other’s company and the development of a safe, responsible and joyous occasion.”

B.o.B. signed on as the LDOC headliner after LMFAO’s Redfoo dropped out from his previous agreement to headline.

LDOC organizers had less time to focus on the logistics of the event after they scrambled to find a new main musical act, but despite the difficulties it all worked out for the best, said LDOC committee co-Chair Nate French, a senior.

“From what I’ve been hearing, people are actually more excited about B.o.B. than they were about Redfoo,” French noted.

Winners of a student performance competition will perform on the Bryan Center plaza between the acts on the main stage, with other student acts performing all day on the West Campus plaza, Robinson said.

LDOC is now a full-day festival, Robinson said, noting the increase to a full 20 events over the course of the day. Food, clothing and arts vendors will set up near the Chapel Quadrangle alongside 10 food trucks and a water truck.

Wristbands granting entry to the main quad for the concert will be passed out from a tent in front of West Union Building from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., when Main Quadrangle will be locked down to anyone from outside the University. The concert runs from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m.

In a change from previous years, only current Duke undergraduate and graduate students will be given wristbands, not faculty members or staffers. That decision was made by the LDOC committee in an effort to keep the event as a Duke student celebration, French said.

According to the LDOC policies, students cannot share alcohol with one another or leave it unattended. Each student can carry a maximum of six 12 oz. cans with them at any given time. Only beer is permitted—not wine, hard alcohol or other beverages. No glass containers are permitted. Cups, water bottles and other containers cannot exceed 24 oz. No drinking games will be permitted. Students who appear intoxicated or make poor decisions will be asked to pour out their alcohol and leave the event, with possible disciplinary action taken.

Last year’s LDOC was widely seen as the safest event yet, with few incidents aside from vandalism of stained glass windows at the Chapel and a pepper spray assault incident, Robinson said.

Security measures this year will essentially remain the same, French said.

Students can see the full schedule on the LDOC website and follow the events of the day through a Facebook app and page and a Twitter account.

Share and discuss “LDOC now a full-day festival” on social media.