Lax players work to get out vote

With the arrival of today's final deadline for voting registration, Duke Students for an Ethical Durham have done their part to register as many students as possible.

From 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday, members of the organization and players on the men's lacrosse team threw a barbecue on the West Campus Plaza to spread awareness about the registration process. Later in the evening, the student group collected proceeds at an informal event held at Shooters II.

"We've had such a positive response, not only wanting to vote, but also getting people excited about really actively participating in the political arena," said junior Christiane Regelbrugge, who worked with other students to coordinate the barbecue.

At both events, tables were set up to encourage students to take part in Durham elections by registering to vote.

"I really am pleased with how many students we've gotten registered, we really met our initial goal," Regelbrugge said. "The goal of the barbecue is kind of one last push."

In addition to the food, refreshments and music provided at Thursday's barbecue, Lewis Cheek, a candidate for district attorney, spoke to the several dozen students present.

Cheek explained to listeners that although he would not accept the position if he were elected, a vote for him was not a lost vote.

"What we have is the American way-the ballot box," he said.

Cheek said he hoped and expected that the governor would appoint a comparable replacement if Cheek were to win and reject the position.

Later in the evening, students flocked to an informal event at Shooters, where owner and manager Kim Cates agreed to donate a portion of the night's proceeds.

"We think they're completely innocent and we've been wanting to help them out, in any which way we can," Cates said. "We're behind them 100 percent."

Cates added that she approached lacrosse players and their supporters in order to propose the event.

"The owner of Shooters has been real supportive throughout this whole thing," said junior Bo Carrington, a lacrosse player who helped plan the event. "[Cates] offered to do a night where she would donate all of the cover charges to Duke Students for an Ethical Durham."

Carrington noted, however, that it would be an otherwise typical time at Shooters for attendees.

"It's a normal Shooters night except that she's donating the money and she's letting us have some tables," he said.

Share and discuss “Lax players work to get out vote” on social media.