HARD-FOUGHT HEARTBREAK AT THE ALAMO

SAN ANTONIO, Texas -- One of the primary reasons an anti-Duke sentiment has developed across the country is the seemingly assigned place of the Blue Devils among the nation's elite. Such is almost certain to be the case next year, as the Blue Devils will return four starters for 2004-05 and replace the star it will lose--Chris Duhon, to graduation--with the nation's top prep point guard, 6-foot-7 Shaun Livingston of Peoria, Ill.

"They're going to be great," Duhon said. "I think a lot of them grew a lot this year. We have seen a lot of the guys step up late in the tournament, like Shavlik [Randolph] and Sean [Dockery]. They're going to be amazing. They have great recruits coming in and we have the best coach in America."

Livingston, whose NBA Draft stock had been rising exponentially since his high school season ended a month or so ago, struggled mightily in the McDonald's All-American game last week, scoring just two points as his team was routed by the East squad on national television. This performance may or may not sway Livingston to honor his commitment, but it certainly was a game that had Duke fans cheering under their breaths. A final decision from Livingston can be expected within the next month.

The reason for such collusion among Blue Devil fans is that they are all aware that with Livingston next year, the Blue Devils could have one of their great teams in recent history.

Consider, Duke's reserve team would be comprised of three McDonald's All-Americans: Sean Dockery, Shavlik Randolph and freshman-to-be DeMarcus Nelson, with Lee Melchionni and the incoming Dave McClure, as well. Such depth would spell a Duke deficiency from this past season. That's a reserve team that could fare well for itself in any major conference in America. Dockery and Nelson as a backcourt is terrifyingly good; Randolph has shown promise as being one of the best sixth-men in America; and McClure and Melchionni are destined to be valuable.

Duke's starting five, then, is downright scary: Livingston, three-year starter Daniel Ewing, junior J.J. Redick, sophomore Deng and junior Williams.

"We are going to be back here next year," Redick said. "We're going to be back in the Final Four."

Coaching changes?

One obstacle the Blue Devils may potentially face is a mixup in its assistant coaching ranks. Johnny Dawkins and Steve Wojciechowski have both been mentioned for several major coaching positions in the past month, as openings have remained unfilled at Georgetown and Auburn, among other schools.

Dawkins and Wojciechowski are yet to comment on any speculation, but both are certain to be highly sought coaches in the coming days and weeks.

Early entry to the pros?

The whispers regarding who will be leaving college early for the NBA have already grown into widespread discussion, with the names of Rashad McCants from UNC and Luol Deng of Duke occupying the majority of talk.

McCants, a sophomore named third-team All-American this past year, told reporters following UNC's second-round loss to Texas that he, along with fellow sophomore stars Raymond Felton and Sean May, would be back.

Likewise, Deng told reporters after Saturday's loss that he would remain a Blue Devil for another year.

"Of course, yeah, yes," Deng answered.

Share and discuss “HARD-FOUGHT HEARTBREAK AT THE ALAMO” on social media.