Off-East rape investigation continues

The Durham Police Department is continuing to investigate allegations that a female Duke student was sexually assaulted at an off-campus party early Sunday.

According to police reports released Monday, the 18-year-old woman reported forcible rape that took place at 3 a.m. at 405 Gattis St., where a party was hosted by some members of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.

The alleged victim "is doing as well as can be expected," Dean of Students Sue Wasiolek said.

University officials said Monday that they had met with members of the fraternity after the report was filed by the alleged victim, who Wasiolek confirmed is white.

Some of the students living at the house in which the party took place are in the process of relocating either temporarily or permanently, Wasiolek wrote in an e-mail.

"The University has been assisting the students to identify their housing options," she said.

Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs, said the administration is now awaiting DPD investigation results.

Police officers have spoken with the alleged victim, DPD Chief Steve Chalmers told The Herald-Sun.

"Once they did the preliminary interview, she was taken to the hospital to be examined," Chalmers said. "We're going to be following up with her and seeing if she can identify suspects in the case."

The alleged victim told police she was raped in the bathroom by a black man in his late teens or early 20s, 6-foot-1 and wearing a black do-rag, gray sweatshirt and jeans, according to a DPD statement released Sunday.

Wasiolek said the alleged attacker has not been identified, adding that there has been speculation that he does not attend Duke.

"The rumor is that it's a student at another school," she said.

Police reports state that approximately 50 people were at the party at the time the alleged incident occurred.

Marijuana, cocaine and Oxycontin were found in the house, according to the DPD police report. Neighbors told The Chronicle Sunday that police officers also found a gun in the house, but police have not reported that a gun was present.

The Duke University Police Department is not involved in the investigation, which lies within DPD's jurisdiction, DUPD Captain Sara-Jane Raines said.

Wasiolek said, however, that the University works closely with DUPD, which serves as a liaison to DPD.

Katherine MacIlwaine and Shreya Rao contributed to this article.

Share and discuss “Off-East rape investigation continues” on social media.