SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Duke moves into 2010-11 with three captains

Senior Nick Tsipis, despite not playing a minute his first two years, will captain for the second straight year.

Duke looks to improve on a solid season in 2009, and its three senior captains—two of whom are filling that role for the second straight year—are ready to lead their team to new heights.

Seniors Christian Ibeagha and Nick Tsipis were both captains on last year’s Duke squad that finished 14-7 and lost to Wake Forest in the third round of the NCAA tournament. After a full season of leading the team, Tsipis now has a much better understanding of the skill and work needed to be a captain.

“As a captain, you have the responsibility of knowing what every individual on the team is going through at the time,” Tsipis said. “You need to know what you can say or what you can do to help them out on an individual basis.”

After a full year of working with head coach John Kerr as a captain, Tsipis knows how he handles the team and what his expectations are. But the senior goalkeeper still has more to learn.

“I’ve learned a lot but I still have a long way to go,” Tsipis said. “I think last year helped not only me, but Christian and other guys who maybe they don’t have the title of captain, but they have to take on a leadership role on the field like Cole [Grossman].”

Grossman started 20 games for the Blue Devils last season and will serve as the third captain alongside Tsipis and Ibeagha this year. Like many of the Blue Devils from last year’s team, he will take on an added responsibility this year, but is now ready to do so.

Last year, Duke had an influx of youth, but lacked experience. The Blue Devils started three freshmen and two sophomores in their final game against Wake Forest. With everyone a year older and three seniors leading the squad, Duke is ready to build upon last season’s progress.

“The nice thing about having three senior captains is that we’ve experienced a lot over the last three years, and we’ve shared those experiences, especially with our younger teammates,” Tsipis said. “It’s nice to have a good mix of youth and energy and all that experience of the older guys.”

Grossman, Ibeagha and Tsipis have very different roles on the team. This is evident not just on the field, but off it as well in how each person handles his responsibilities as a captain.

“Cole’s an offensive minded player,” Tsipis said. “He’s one of our biggest offensive threats so the way he leads is very different than the way Christian leads his back line. I don’t play as much so that carries with it its own different kind of role.”

The three captains may perform their duties differently, but it’s the way that they come together that is the most powerful aspect of this trio.

“We have our own different leadership styles, but they mesh well into one cohesive leadership idea and focus for our team mission,” Tsipis said. “It’s a nice combination. We’re similar in that we’re all very passionate about the team and we all have a fiery intensity to it.”

Share and discuss “Duke moves into 2010-11 with three captains” on social media.