Decreasing attendance at games a shame for Duke basketball

My heart sank to read about the lack of student attendance at Cameron in your Jan. 24 features article.

Yes—I was an undergrad long ago—from 1994 to 1998—during one of the few four year spells when Duke failed to advance to a Final Four. In fact, during my freshman year, we went 13 and 18. And yet, the student section was always packed to the rafters. One of the most miraculous things I have witnessed to this day was the “Capel shot,” which I assume many of you know nothing about, but which I can still see as though I were there today.

Among my generation of Dukies, basketball brought the student body together in a way nothing else could. We were all on the same team—heck, we were part of the team. Duke basketball was an experience for everyone, even a typical uncoordinated dork like me.

More than that, those four years on campus as a Cameron Crazie was only the beginning of a lifelong relationship with Duke, no doubt in large part because of the pride in watching our team.

Go to virtually any city in America and there are bars devoted to Crazies of old. And, when Duke comes to town, alumni sell out 20,000-seat arenas. That’s why it saddens me to think that the student body cannot even fill the 1,200 capacity student section in the greatest sports venue in the U.S.

Yes—there is more to Duke than basketball. The rankings have always proved that. And, yes, working hard is number one. But, being part of a community, not only now, but for the rest of your lives is priceless.

If you never experience Cameron, you will miss being the sixth man or woman on a team led by the greatest teacher to ever coach the game.

Erik K. Ludwig, Trinity ’98

Share and discuss “Decreasing attendance at games a shame for Duke basketball” on social media.