DA Nifong seeks to keep office amid lax scandal

Sitting behind his mahogany desk, with a view of Durham from his window, incumbent District Attorney Mike Nifong discussed his election platform and life outside the office-something for which he has had little time amid the continued controversy surrounding the Duke lacrosse case.

Nifong, whom friends and family describe as a thoughtful, professional family man and attorney, said his goals include improving communication with victims and promoting the needs of Durham children.

"I will do the same things as I have been doing so far," he said.

This year, Nifong has found himself at the center of one of the most heated political races in the state. Despite winning the Democratic primary, he has faced heavy criticism for his handling of the Duke lacrosse case.

One such criticism includes the district attorney's choice to publicly discuss the case in its early stages. Nifong said Monday that if he had known how the press would react, he would not have made any comments after the first day.

Despite criticisms, Nifong continues to lead contenders Lewis Cheek, who petitioned to be on the ballot, and Steve Monks, a write-in candidate, according to a recent poll conducted by the Raleigh News and Observer.

Although the lacrosse case has dominated headlines, Nifong said he has been busy planning future goals, such as helping Durham children by decreasing truancy, preventing gang violence and providing an accredited child advocacy program.

Nifong explained that child advocacy has a special place in his heart.

"[My wife] and I first met on the steps of the courthouse. She was unhappy with the way the DA's office was handling child abuse cases," he said. "I, of course, wasn't handling any of those cases back then."

Nifong's wife, Cy Gurney, is the regional administrator for Guardian ad Litem, a state advocacy program for abused and neglected children.

She said Nifong maintains a healthy balance between work and family.

While Nifong was hospitalized for cancer treatment, Gurney would give him play-by--play descriptions of their son's Little League baseball games by cell phone, she said.

The walls of Nifong's office are plastered with photos of his son's Little League team, which he coached. A framed Oath of Office is displayed amid all the photos. When asked about his campaign platform, Nifong read aloud the words from his oath, promising to be fair and impartial in all his decisions.

"[Nifong] is an incredible trial lawyer who is very knowledgeable of law and procedure," Durham Criminal Attorney Mark Edwards said. Edwards added that Nifong's good managerial skills has allowed him to assemble a great staff.

Nifong said he finds his work as the district attorney energizing and challenging after 27 years of working as an assistant district attorney in Durham.

"Mike Nifong's extensive experience impressed me," said Robinson Everett, a Duke law professor. Nifong's familiarity with the people and culture of Durham allows him to work efficiently as district attorney, Everett added.

Nifong admitted, however, that he does not enjoy campaigning.

"I don't like to ask people for votes or money," he said. "I am the kind of person who believes that if I do my job, I shouldn't have to ask."

The lacrosse case was far from Nifong's first contact with Duke.

Both of the district attorney's parents are Duke graduates, and Nifong was offered an Angier B. Duke scholarship to the University, which he declined in favor of attending the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill on a different scholarship.

Nifong recalled his college days of protesting against the Vietnam War.

"I loved the realities of the late 1960s when everyone's opinion could be heard," he added.

Nifong said he is also an avid musical performer and owns a banjo, a mandolin and eight guitars, one of which resides in his office, next to an amplifier.

"Being in court is similar to performing improvisational theater, and I think music brings out my performer's ego," he said with a laugh.

Share and discuss “DA Nifong seeks to keep office amid lax scandal” on social media.