The Chronicle wins Best of Show honor

The Chronicle earned first place honors in the Best of Show competition at the 2009 National College Media Convention this weekend in Austin, Texas.

The annual convention, hosted by the Associated Collegiate Press and College Media Advisers, includes representatives from college newspapers, yearbooks and magazines from across the country.

The Chronicle received the award for first place in the four-year college daily tabloid category Sunday. It last won the award in 2005. The designation denotes excellence among the attendees at the convention.

The contest involved submitting one issue from the current semester to be evaluated by an ACP judge. Chronicle editors chose to submit the paper’s Oct. 1 issue, which featured a front page story on global health in North Carolina and a Recess section about Durham’s mobile food offerings. The Chronicle beat out a submission by The Daily of the University of Washington, the second-place winner.

Indiana University’s student newspaper, The Indiana Daily Student, won first place in the four-year college daily broadsheet category. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s student newspaper, The Daily Tar Heel, finished second among the broadsheet entries.

Earlier this Fall, The Chronicle was ranked ninth on The Princeton Review’s 2009 “Best College Newspaper” list.

Share and discuss “The Chronicle wins Best of Show honor” on social media.