A chance for Brodhead to do the defining

Only one man knows what it was like to sit in President Richard Brodhead's office during the lacrosse case, with all the forces of the world bearing impossibly down on a presidency barely begun.

Yet because the Presidential Review Committee formed to evaluate the president's performance closed comments last week, we are compelled to offer the students' perspective-incomplete but important-on his performance thus far.

We believe that Brodhead should and must stay.

Any discussion of the president's performance must begin-but not end-with his response to the lacrosse case and its aftermath. For in times of extraordinary trial, a person's character is magnified as it is not during tranquility, and the lacrosse case is no exception.

The case first exposed Brodhead as a president who has yet to realize his initial promise to be a students' president. The lacrosse case-frantic, sensitive and uncertain-demanded a forceful and assertive type of leadership that Brodhead could not provide.

His approach-from his press releases to his apology at the School of Law-was always substantive but often poorly communicated, detached and awkward. Although he entered the University with a bullhorn imploring Coach K to stay at Duke, since then he has been less accessible to and less identified with students than he had aimed to be.

Secondly, the case brought to painful light the weaknesses of a president who is academic not managerial, cautious not imposing and passive not active. Brodhead's failure to make necessary personnel changes upon arrival is a symptom of his inability to impose his own trajectory on the University. Not only did he retain but he reappointed two administrators who continue to frustrate the progress of the University-Director of Athletics Joe Alleva and Vice President for Student Affairs Larry Moneta.

More importantly, though, the case revealed crucial strengths in Brodhead's character. His academic prudence, appreciation of complexity, willingness to explore deeper issues involved in the case, and capacity for self-criticism guided the University through a time of peril.

Through it all Brodhead has begun to articulate and implement a powerful vision of what the University should be.

In his inaugural address in 2004, Brodhead committed the University to cultivating the "satisfaction of citizenship... the education that flows back to theory from practice: the learning that arises when theoretical intelligence is tested in the area of real human need." Brodhead's vision thus sees the University as engaged with the world and accessible to all-an institution that defines the word "education" broadly.

This vision is now crystallizing into concrete policies: the Financial Aid Initiative, curricular changes to promote interdisciplinarity, the creation of a vice president for Durham and regional affairs, the Global Health Initiative and DukeEngage. Brodhead believes that what makes a Dukie is exactly what makes an aware and active citizen in the modern world.

And it is this vision that will most determine the future of the Brodhead presidency.

In effect, Brodhead is no longer on the defensive. With the lacrosse case over, the construction of Central Campus imminent and three top administrators leaving, he must be given-and must take-the opportunity to fulfill his initial promise, overcome his weaknesses and achieve his unique vision for Duke.

He can now define his presidency-rather than let it be defined by its worst moment.

Share and discuss “A chance for Brodhead to do the defining” on social media.