[UPDATED] 3 Fuqua students test positive for coronavirus outside the US

Update: This article was updated at 3:45 p.m. to reflect that the three students are from the Fuqua School of Business.

Three students from the Fuqua School of Business who had been traveling outside of the United States have tested positive for the coronavirus.

In an email to the Duke community Friday afternoon, Vice President for Administration Kyle Cavanaugh announced the students were overseas as part of a group. Fuqua Dean Bill Boulding confirmed that the three students are from Fuqua, according to an email he sent to the Fuqua community Friday afternoon.

The three students are being treated outside of the United States and will remain out of the country until they have recovered. He explained that physicians from Duke have been in contact with the students and are in "good condition." 

However, other Duke students who were part of the same group have since come back to Durham and are in self-isolation for at least 14 days off-campus under medical supervision.

"Any individuals who have experienced symptoms compatible with coronavirus (i.e. fever, cough) underwent testing and are awaiting the results," Cavanaugh wrote in the email. "Durham Public Health and Duke Health are engaged in this effort."

Cavanaugh also suggested everyone take this as a reminder to adhere to guidelines put in place to prevent the spread of the coronavirus like following travel restrictions and minimizing exposure to large crowds.

The number of cases of coronavirus in North Carolina has been increasing steadily, and as of Friday afternoon included at least 16 cases. The Duke University Health System—including Duke University Hospital and its affiliates—is testing patients who exhibit symptoms consistent with the virus but is not treating any individuals with the virus as of Friday morning. 

"We are optimistic for the full recovery of these individuals and remain grateful to health care providers around the world for their courage and commitment," Cavanaugh wrote. 

Share and discuss “[UPDATED] 3 Fuqua students test positive for coronavirus outside the US” on social media.