2016 NCAA tournament preview: Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Record: 21-11 (11-7 ACC)

Head coach: Mike Brey (16th season)

Season recap: Even after losing mainstays Jerian Grant and Pat Connaughton from last year's Elite Eight squad, the Fighting Irish still boast one of the top offenses in the country. All five Notre Dame starters average more than 10 points per game, and Brey's squad ranks 10th in basketball statistician Ken Pomeroy's adjusted offensive efficiency metric.

Point guard Demetrius Jackson leads the way for Notre Dame, averaging 15.5 points and 4.8 assists per game and spreading the ball to shooters Steve Vasturia and V.J. Beachem and versatile post players Zach Auguste and Bonzie Colson. The Fighting Irish offense sparked wins against North Carolina, Duke (twice) and Louisville, but its porous defense—Notre Dame ranks 172nd in Pomeroy's defensive efficiency metric—and costly turnovers led to a 31-point loss to the Tar Heels in the semifinals of the ACC tournament.

How they make a run: With the offense firing on all cylinders, Notre Dame outscores its opponents en route to its second straight Elite Eight appearance.

How they falter: Turnovers and a lack of depth catch up to the Fighting Irish, who suffer an early-round exit.

Share and discuss “2016 NCAA tournament preview: Notre Dame Fighting Irish” on social media.